273 About To Kick the Bucket

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
As some of you know my 66 Valiant has a 273 2bbl in it and it's my daily driver. Been driving it 25mi a day (to work and back) 5-6 days a week for over 2years and in the last few weeks been driving an extra 80mi or so a day (40mi one way north) to help a friend finish a remodel and make some extra $$.

I know she burnt oil when I bought her but now it's getting to the point of 2qts in that 80mi!!

Noticed significant power loss today and decided to check the plugs....see pics. This is what most of em looked like. Plugs only have about 15,000-17,000mi on em.

Put new ones in and she pepped right up. Only a matter of time though. One of the last times I checked cyl press it was around 90psi. lol

The machine shop called yesterday and told me my heads for the 318 would be ready to pick up on Wednesday so I'll be finally able to put that together!!! He's had em about 2mo now, lol.

Anyways, just thought I'd share the news, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1300.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1301.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1304.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 211
Bring the car to the FABO campout in CO and you can all work on it, weekend project!!!!!

Wish I could make it to that.......oh well, always next year

Install this. It surely will make the drive intresting and you could win a BUNCH of money at the track :twisted:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpDSvdLRODo"]NEW 2500 HP CAD Billet Block 572 NRE HEMI. Mirror Image Turbos. Nelson Racing. NRE TV Episode 173 - YouTube[/ame]

That looks like ash deposits from crap fuel.
15K miles the plugs do not look oil fouled.
2 qts in 80 miles how bad does it leak oil?
90 psi cylinder pressure, when was the last time you adjusted the valves?
Just trying to help you get a few more miles out of it.
At least you have a fresh motor in process.

That looks like ash deposits from crap fuel.
15K miles the plugs do not look oil fouled.
2 qts in 80 miles how bad does it leak oil?
90 psi cylinder pressure, when was the last time you adjusted the valves?
Just trying to help you get a few more miles out of it.
At least you have a fresh motor in process.

I put new intake gaskets and pan gaskets when I done the front suspension a year ago, also just put new valve cover gaskets on it, so not a whole lot, lol.
I actually adjusted the valves a week ago cuz I had a few rockers tickin.

Yeah, can't wait to get that teen together, it's been taking forever to get that thing done, lol. It'll definitely "pep" the car up some,lol.

The wabbit kicked the bucket....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKPOhFZuFQg"]the wabbit kicked the bucket.. - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry to hear that your engine is dying, but good news, now you can upgrade!!!

Sounds like the 273 in my old 67. Got it the summer of 91. Pulled it apart that winter. 3 broken oil rings, 1 cracked piston, and a cam that was near flat. It left a nice smoke screen behind it when I got on it. Lol

Yeah,lol, whenever I have someone from work riding with me to lunch, I yell "Smoke Screen On!!" before I floor it merging on to the highway, lol. Makes me feel like some sort of super hero evading the bad guys when in the back of my mind I know I'm peeing someone off and makin them choke, lol.

Before you pull the engine down do a cylinder leak down test. If the rings are bad or the cylinders walls are out of round all the new cylinder heads in the world will stop the oil the oil burning problem. Good Luck.

Before you pull the engine down do a cylinder leak down test. If the rings are bad or the cylinders walls are out of round all the new cylinder heads in the world will stop the oil the oil burning problem. Good Luck.

If the cylinders are not sealing, new heads will make the oil burning worse.

I would get all family members together. Put a brick on the throttle , So you can all watch and listen to it blow. Its pretty exciting . Exspecially if parts and fire come out.

No, lol, the heads won't be going on the 273, I have a 318 all machined, balanced, etc, ready to be put together, just waiting on them heads, lol. The 273 will be gettin yanked for the teen.
Sorry for any confusion. :)

I would get all family members together. Put a brick on the throttle , So you can all watch and listen to it blow. Its pretty exciting . Exspecially if parts and fire come out.

LOL, now that could be fun! However, I'm prob gonna sell the 273 or just keep it for the crank and rockers. Possibly just do a stock rebuild on it then sell it, not sure yet.

Use the 273 adjustable rockers on the 318 and use a set of 302 heads for the 318 as well enjoy.

Sounds like you're old 273 has done her duty. Time to retire her and let your "teen" take over. The crank is forged and the rockers are adjustable. Those are good parts to save or reuse. tmm

I was going to use the rockers on the teen until I got an excellent out of this world deal on some barely used Crane Golds. Pretty much $75 for em w/pushrods, lol. Also, the heads I'll be using are decently ported/bowl blend/gasket matched and have been milled to 60cc chambers.
She should run decent.

-
Back