273 adjustable rockers

-

Moparguy1

Reaction score
I am building a 360 and I plan on using X heads and a hydraulic cam. I was thinking about using the adjustable rockers from a 273 because I could adjust them since I will be putting the engine together my self and that would keep me from needing to grind the top of the valves or use shims. Will these rockers work good on the this set up?

you didn't say anything about what cam specifically, which is kind of critical to answer your question. But basically yes it will work.

I have a set on an X headed 340 with a Mopar .284/.484 cam. So Id vote yes.

I think the cam is going to be the Comp Extreme Energy 20-225-4 with a 284/296 duration and a 507/510 lift.

Thanks guys, now I just need to find a set. Are there anything else I need to buy to make these work?

they have a special rocker shaft with banana grooved shafts instead of the single hole. the groove is to allow the oil to spread across the rocker to keep from galling. rockers, shafts, push rods... should do it.

Make sure the shafts are correct, rockers aren't wasted and the adjusters are tight.

Make sure the shafts are correct, rockers aren't wasted and the adjusters are tight.

You can buy aftermarket adjusters with locknuts for these rockers...have a set on my 273. As a matter of fact, I'd put 'em in anyway, just for insurance.

Attachments

• 273RockersWJamNuts.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 588
Summit has um. I think it's a Crane number.

Can you buy a new set of complete rocker assembly or do you have to find them used?

Can you buy a new set of complete rocker assembly or do you have to find them used?

If you have a pocket full of cash buy new. Used in good shape are fine.

I "might" know where there is an extra set laying around. Let me ponder it.

You cannot buy the iron 273 rockers new anymore. Chrysler, Crane, Isky and Erson all made them at one time but now no one does. Course new roller stuff you can get anywhere. The thing is, the little OE 273 rockers will hold up to .650 plus lift with good adjusters. They are pretty bullitproof.

You cannot buy the iron 273 rockers new anymore. Chrysler, Crane, Isky and Erson all made them at one time but now no one does. Course new roller stuff you can get anywhere. The thing is, the little OE 273 rockers will hold up to .650 plus lift with good adjusters. They are pretty bullitproof.

When did they quite making them? I was just looking at a set of the ductile iron rockers just the other day. BIG money though.

I think Crane is the only company making the iron rockers anymore. They are ridiculously expensive, and in my and others I know experience the adjusters will need replaced before the motor even fires. Making an already overpriced POS rocker even more expensive.

Crane makes them.......but only individually. NOT in sets. At least not that I can find.

-
Back