273 adjustable rockers

-
If you REALLY want the trick ticket, find some old iron rockers, send them to Gary at Rocker Arm Specialties and let him rework and bush them and supply new hardened chrome shafts. Then them things will last forever. IMHO, then they would be better than almost any roller out there.

If you REALLY want the trick ticket, find some old iron rockers, send them to Gary at Rocker Arm Specialties and let him rework and bush them and supply new hardened chrome shafts. Then them things will last forever. IMHO, then they would be better than almost any roller out there.

But what would it cost to have them worked over? What should a good used set sell for?

But what would it cost to have them worked over? What should a good used set sell for?

Probably around 100 give or take. Some people around here think they are gold. They are iron. I think Gary will rework them in the 350-400 range.

Forgive my ignorance but why would you want to run adjustables with hydrolic lifters.

Does this give you more lift and duration by adjusting the preload?

Forgive my ignorance but why would you want to run adjustables with hydrolic lifters.

No, but properly adjusted lash (preload) is more easily obtained with adjustable rockers than with shaft shims...not to mention if you start running cams with high lift, adjustables are recommended since stock stamped rockers can break with increased spring pressures.

Adjustable rockers on hydraulic lifters allow you to taylor the lifter preload to what you want out of the engine. You can actually change how the engine operates to a degree by changing preload. For instance, I like preload light. Usually around .020 into the plunger travel. Sometimes this can result in a little valvetrain noise....most of the time not. What it does do is allow a few more RPM out of the engine. The effect is not as pronounced as tayloring solid lifter lash, but you can make a small difference. The biggest thing to me is simply making sure there's not too much preload from things like milled heads, decked block and or thin head gaskets. Lastly, the iron rockers are MUCH stronger than the stock paddle type. Much more than stock spring pressure and you risk punching through the pushrod cup in the rocker. The iron rockers eliminate that issue altogether.

I have a set of 273 I will take $125.00 for them if you would like to see them I will send you some pic

Adjustable rockers on hydraulic lifters allow you to taylor the lifter preload to what you want out of the engine. You can actually change how the engine operates to a degree by changing preload. For instance, I like preload light. Usually around .020 into the plunger travel. Sometimes this can result in a little valvetrain noise....most of the time not. What it does do is allow a few more RPM out of the engine. The effect is not as pronounced as tayloring solid lifter lash, but you can make a small difference. The biggest thing to me is simply making sure there's not too much preload from things like milled heads, decked block and or thin head gaskets. Lastly, the iron rockers are MUCH stronger than the stock paddle type. Much more than stock spring pressure and you risk punching through the pushrod cup in the rocker. The iron rockers eliminate that issue altogether.

What he said! Also if you zero lash them,it'll be good for an extra 500 rpm or so. Just an extra tuning parameter......

-
Back