273 air cleaner base for a four barrel carb

-

my66fish

Reaction score
Does any one have a extra air cleaner base for the 273 air cleaner for a 4 barrel carb. I believe it is a 10" round base. Since I have redid the engine it was a two barrel but now it has a four barrel and I would love to retain my original air cleaner.

Thank you,
David

Does your engine now have an ORIGINAL style Carter AFB 4-barrel carb? The original commando base will only fit an early AFB carb (because it's smaller) and NOT the later, and slightly larger AFB and Holley circles.

I too believe that you have the later style carb with the now common 5 inch throat size. You can do what I did... simply go to the auto parts store and buy a 10 inch chrome air cleaner assembly, one of the cheap ones at about $15.00. Just use the base with your cover and the corresponding air filter. I used the K&N filter correct for the Commando air cleaner assembly. It works for me!!! Geof

I too believe that you have the later style carb with the now common 5 inch throat size. You can do what I did... simply go to the auto parts store and buy a 10 inch chrome air cleaner assembly, one of the cheap ones at about $15.00. Just use the base with your cover and the corresponding air filter. I used the K&N filter correct for the Commando air cleaner assembly. It works for me!!! Geof

Yep I did the same thing. Summit had a 10 in flat base air cleaner on sale for like $10. Worked out well.

Cool, it sounds like they have an option for you. I was getting ready to say that if you had a newer carb it won't work as far the stock base goes. I used to have one, but let it go with the carb and intake back 8 to 9 years ago.

I understand what you all are saying but the problem is I have a edelbrock 600 carb. and if I use the edelbrock air cleaner base which is flat the wing nut will hit the hood. I need the factory or a similar base which is recessed to drop the air cleaner down. I have several flat air cleaner bases which I have tried already.
Does Summit racing sell just the base for the air cleaners? I didn't see one for a 10".

The factory base is flat, not recessed. I have never seen a recessed 10in air cleaner. What I did is use the after market 10in base, and the shorter filter that came with it with the factory top. Works well, and clears my hood.

-
Back