273 Bellhousing.

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I have a 273 bellhousing and matching z bar will this work on a 318 with 10.5 clutch? I assume it will.If not I need to sell it and find the right bellhousing.

Thanks,Jim

Jim, I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I do know this. Not all V8 Mopar bellhousings can accept a 10.5" clutch. Some are like the slant six and accept only the 9". So be careful and make sure you measure.

is it cast iron or aluminum .......if its cast ...most likely the small 9.5 inch clutch one.

whats the casting number?

Where are the casting numbers? I clean most of the grease off the outside of it and didn't see any numbers.It is cast iron and the original out of my 67 273 Formula.

Check the right bottom just above and to the left of the transmission bolt hole.

Top picture is a supposedly a 68 so it may or may not be there.
Bottom picture is supposedly a 67 big block.

Attachments

• mxhvyY1ls0x-vwFB9Cxy8vw.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 253
  • $T2eC16FHJFwFFZ3NWm7BBRwddgvn2!~~60_1.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 238
It looks like all 67 273's were a cast iron 9.5.It will fit a 318 but then I have use a 9.5 clutch right?

Hey just a suggestion but I have a 67 Barracuda that came with the 273 2-barrel motor and it originally had the 9.5 inch Auburn style clutch. The 67 vans and trucks used a Borg & Beck style 10 inch clutch disk so I just bought the bigger 10 inch pressure plate and clutch disk and it works great. If you have your heart set on a 10.5 inch clutch then yea it does require swapping the flywheel, bell housing, z-bar, clutch release fork, clutch disk, pressure plate and some linkage. A lot of swapping (but it is all bolt on with the correct parts) and expense for just 1/2 inch more clutch disk. I'd be glad to share what I did in more detail if you want to PM me.

-
Back