273 Commando air cleaner ?

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Anyone know the base plate diameter for the 11" 273/Slant 6 unsilenced air cleaners?

I have an old cheapo aftermarket air cleaner with a base plate that has a Holley opening but it's only 9" in diameter. I know the original base plates were either for the Carter BBD or 4 bbl carbs so they don't fit a Holley without modifying it.

Just wondering if the 9" base plate I have would work with one of the aforementioned air cleaner lids or would there be too much space around the lid sides. I'm thinking it should be around 10" for proper fit but I am not sure.

Thanks for the input.

- Greg

they are 10 inches from factory..

I kinda figured that. Thanks for the info and PM.

Regardless, I was just wondering how well it would still function with an extra 1/2" of space around the sides. Could it cause a lean condition or just not really seal/do it's job properly...

The newer trucks have an air cleaner housing with the right diameter air filter and a Holley / newer AFB opening. You have to cut the bottom out and trim it, but it seals well and is the right size for the carb and the filter.

The newer trucks have an air cleaner housing with the right diameter air filter and a Holley / newer AFB opening. You have to cut the bottom out and trim it, but it seals well and is the right size for the carb and the filter.

Which trucks? Not sure what you are referring to...

The throttle body injected pickups had a metal air cleaner with a 10 inch OD air filter. I would buy the bottom housing and cut out the base oversize with a jig saw. Then I would finsh with a 8 in grinder to get it to the right size. I'll try to take a couple pictures tomorrow.

rmchrgr, Yes you can use the mopar top and the 9'' 4 bbl base and filter. Been doing it for years.

rmchrgr, Yes you can use the mopar top and the 9'' 4 bbl base and filter. Been doing it for years.

Cool, thanks. I know it will 'work' but I was just thinking about the lack of seal around the sides and the potential for a lean situation. Guess it wouldn't be much different than an open-element air filter. Certainly the top of the air filter would seal to the underside of the lid.

In any event, this was just thinking out loud. I always liked the simple look of those air cleaner lids, chrome or painted. Trying to make 'em work with a Holley requires creativity though.

the factory ones don't seal there is an air space so the extended space with the 9 inch base will allow more air flow...

Yeah, the only place for the air to get in is around the base. The seal is the top and bottom edge of the element, pressed against the base and the lid.

Your issue may be finding a 9" diameter element with a close-to-correct height.

the factory ones don't seal there is an air space so the extended space with the 9 inch base will allow more air flow...

Yeah, the only place for the air to get in is around the base. The seal is the top and bottom edge of the element, pressed against the base and the lid.

Is that what I would ask at the parts store? 9" 4bbl base and filter?
I'm in the same boat. I want to use the 273 Charger can but the 600 avs is 4 1/2" when the throat on the base is 4" ?????

I'll try to get some pictures posted this weekend. that way we can all be on the same page as to what we may be talking about.

I may have several of the aftermarket bases I will go measure the one I used on the "waggin"

I use the slant six air filter and a cut down aftermarket base I have several of the bases "new" 7$ each plus shipping, actual cost on shipping

Attachments

• aircleanerbase 002.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 348
  • aircleanerbase 003.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 332
  • aircleanerbase 004.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 389
  • aircleanerbase 005.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 307
  • aircleanerbase 006.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 325
My photos are similar to waggin'
You will see 2 types of slant six unsilanced air filter "Hats"
The cheapie autozone 9'' air filter about $15
The larger hat like the 273, filter fits,seals with plenty of breathing room.
The next is the smaller slant hat,filter and base.
Moer photos to come......

Attachments

• IMG_1907.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1909.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_1903.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1902.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 299
Next photos are the s/s base with the cheapie 4 bbl base.If you want to do some work the 4 bbl base fits the s/s base groove that is stamped into the 1 bbl base, cut away the 1 bbl and weld or JB weld and use the slant filter and hat. The last photo is what you end up with and works just fine.
Hope this helps..

Attachments

• IMG_1904.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1906.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0728.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 322
Cool, thanks for the photos gang.

Not sure what one of these would look like on a '71 Duster with a Victor intake as opposed to an early A with a 273. Might be a little out of place.

I have a fancy 14" Proform aluminum air cleaner which is decent but it lacks the character of the Commando/Slant lids.

Here are the pictures of the Dodge Ram air cleaner bases. I am not sure of the years. If I remember right, they were throttle body. I use a metal jig saw to cut the bottom out, oversize. Then trim on a belt sander or grinding wheel. Also pictured is a Commando air filter so you can see how it fits. It is just the right size for a new Edelbrock and AVS carbs. I assume they would work for a Holley also, but do not have one to test. The base without the switch is lower and is about the same height as the original base, silver.

-
Back