???273 Commando Question???

-

66 Valiant

Reaction score
???273 Commando Question???

I just bought my first Mopar car; its a 66 Valiant Signet with a 273 / 180hp.
I'm going to the Mopar Nationals in Columbus Ohio next weekend.
What casting # should I be looking for on the 4 barrel intake?
Any other suggestion or info with the intake, air cleaner, carb, valve cover, distributor etc to ungrade the engine to a Commando would be a great help. Just collecting parts at this time, will do the internals when I have everything.

Thank,s Jeff
progress.gif

Jeff,

Welcome to FABO!!

The Commando external items include the Carter AFB 4-bbl carburetor, the four-bbl intake, the finned rocker arm covers, and the chrome unsilenced air cleaner (with Commando 273 on it).

You need to be careful on the intake manifold as the 64/65 intake manifold had a different angle on the mounting bolts into the heads.

You may be able to get carburetor and intake manifold part numbers on mymopar dot com.

The internal items include the cam, domed pistons (for 10.5 compression ratio), and dual-point distributor.

Here is a picture of a commando 273 (except the color should be red!!)...

DSCN4225a.jpg

remember offenhauser is still making aluminum 273 in takes for both the 64/65 and the 1966 and newer,, may be a cheaper choice if you cant find a complete top out side dress up for the 273 hypo,,

Here's some numbers for 1966:

distributor IBS4013 (AB)
2642242 or2642461

intake 2536563
2536771 with CAP (California)

carb 4119s (manual trans)
4120s (auto trans)
4121s and 4122s are for California
The aircleaner doesn't have a part number. The ones with the pipe out the side are for California cars (Clean Air Package CAP) The stickers on the top can be purchased and Dodge uses "Charger 273" and Plymouth uses "Commando 273" The valve covers should have two stovepipes for the chrome pcv and oil fill caps. The right cover also has tabs for wiring harness. The pcv and oil caps are available as repops but are very expensive because they were also used on the early 426 Hemi's.
If you're at the Nationals stop by the Mega Parts booth in the swap meet area and pick up a Chrysler parts interchange book. Lots of good info when you're looking for parts. I'll be there. We are at booth# A27 toolmanmike

engine 296.jpg

Here's some numbers for 1966:

distributor IBS4013 (AB)
2642242 or2642461

intake 2536563
2536771 with CAP (California)

carb 4119s (manual trans)
4120s (auto trans)
4121s and 4122s are for California
The aircleaner doesn't have a part number. The ones with the pipe out the side are for California cars (Clean Air Package CAP) The stickers on the top can be purchased and Dodge uses "Charger 273" and Plymouth uses "Commando 273" The valve covers should have two stovepipes for the chrome pcv and oil fill caps. The right cover also has tabs for wiring harness. The pcv and oil caps are available as repops but are very expensive because they were also used on the early 426 Hemi's.
If you're at the Nationals stop by the Mega Parts booth in the swap meet area and pick up a Chrysler parts interchange book. Lots of good info when you're looking for parts. I'll be there. We are at booth# A27 toolmanmike

Now that is the right color!!!!!

toolmanmike knows this stuff. I will be there (don't know spot yet) and I will be selling 273 commando decals that are made on correct gauge aircraft aluminum and looks very nice. The only discrepancy is the color has sort of a translucent look, not opaque, when in direct sunlight. Give 'em a look, the look fantastic.
David

Toolman, that is one pretty engine... I can only dream of when mine will look like that!

Another view...

(Note that we have the same radiator (cool). Some of us are easily entertained!!)

DSCN4226a.jpg

Toolman, that is one pretty engine... I can only dream of when mine will look like that!

Another view...

(Note that we have the same radiator (cool). Some of us are easily entertained!!)
Thanks. It takes a lot of time, patients, and paint. I'm not quite done yet. I still have to pick up a few pieces at the Nationals and eventually replace my Wally World battery with a Mopar unit. 66cuda, you've got the CAP package with the oil fill cap that is connected to the air cleaner. Here's a photo of what it looked like the first time I saw it. Mike

randalia5.jpg

-
Back