Not open for further replies.

65ChargerDart

65ChargerDart
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
Engine and transmission complete with factory a/c compressor and power steering pump. Not on engine is alternator and brackets as well as aluminum fins on valve covers. Has low compression pistons and 318 intake manifold installed by a previous owner. Engine ran and transmission shifted properly when removed from car.
Includes driveshaft modified to eliminate the old joint at rear of transmission. Includes shifter and gold console. $500

It was an original engine out of a 65 Dart Charger. I didn't know it had low compression pistons until I pulled a head to repair a broken exhaust manifold stud. That's when I noticed the intake manifold was from a 318 because the holes had been modified to accept the 7/16" intake manifold bolts. I was going to rebuild the engine years ago but at that time the hipo pistons were $900+ and I found a 340 block to rebuild. I've also converted the car to a 4-speed with Gearvendors overdrive. Transmission is still attached to the engine and has not been apart since I've owned the car. Engine would have to be rebuilt anyway. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Can you tell me what makes this a hipo engine? Dual point distributor? Because nothing you have listed is commando or hipo.

Ok. Commando parts
1. Cam
2. Dual point distributor
3. 4bl intake
4. Valve covers.
5. Hi comp pistons
6. Chrome air brearher
7. 4BL Carter carb (afb I think)
Heads are same 2-4bl
Block same 2-4 bl.
Im sorry you got screwed when you bought it, but dont call it a hipo it IS NOT.
You say "it is what it is"...well what it is probably about a $150 2 bl 273 that needs rebuilt. THAT is what it is, not a hipo. Lord it isnt even "dressed" like one

Last edited by a moderator:
What numbers are stamped on the afb? Pics of engine? What make is the cam?
Attached are photos of the AFB carb. Don't know about cam specs and I'm not going to tear down the engine to find out.
Engine, transmission as described in my original post for $500.00 or it's going to the junk yard.

20171103_200636[1].jpg

20171103_200719[1].jpg

20171103_200756[1].jpg

#3856s carb is correct for a 1965 383. Built July of 64. It is worth some $ to a restorer.

Last edited:
Yes it is. $50.00 plus shipping. But please act quickly as it's going to the scrapyard next week if no one wants it.

My local deal fell through, so yes I have the transmission with shifter, console (gold) and linkage. Shipping to Colorado isn't going to be cheap however.

I'll gladly sell you the linkage and console separate from the 904, which should be relatively easy to locate locally or in Denver. Nobody seems to want one, or a 273 basic engine for that matter, so it should be cheaper than shipping it from Columbus, GA.

I want the motor and trans... but I thought you sold it locally, being that is not the case I cant imagine it any cheaper to ship to Minnesota than Colorado.

Fastenal is a hardware and industrial supply chain here. Didn't know they shipped anything.

Surely someone on this site knows the approximate weight of a small block and 904 transmission. I would guess the engine weighs about 450-500 lbs and the transmission 175-200 lbs?

If you're really and truly interested I'll pursue this transfer for you.
I'll ask some of my mechanic and junkyard buddies the best way to crate this package for you. Do you have any interest in the a/c compressor and brackets?
Just want to make sure we're on the same page here. This is not going to be a drop in and run package. I have removed the alternator brackets and alternator as well as air cleaner, oil filler cap, chrome pvc valve and a few other minor things to transfer to my 340. The engine is a tired runner and tranny shifts properly but probably tired also.

PM me and let's discuss this. I'm sure you can source a 318 or 360 locally if you're just looking for a small block. If you have your heart set on a 273, fine I have one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to have that transmission, if you still have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back