273 engine needs cam and lifters

-

Romulo Roderiques

Reaction score
Hello,

65 Dart with a 273. It's time for cam and lifters. I haven't checked compression and leakdown yet. I have a couple of questions. If compression and leakdown check out ok. What's the best option for a new cam and lifters? Should I stick to stock? Second, if it needs heads or worse what engine swaps would be reasonable? I don't want to do heads on this original motor. Not looking to break the bank but want something reliable.

Thanks

Would they mount up to the Trans? I know the 318 would but what about the 360?
Both will mount up but you will need to be concerned with the torque convertor register in the end of the crank and the 360 is externally balanced and needs a different flex plate or weld weights to the convertor to balance it properly. If you replace the cam a Isky E4 is a popular one. It is a solid lifter cam like the original and similar (but slightly larger) specs.

Both will mount up but you will need to be concerned with the torque convertor register in the end of the crank and the 360 is externally balanced and needs a different flex plate or weld weights to the convertor to balance it properly. If you replace the cam a Isky E4 is a popular one. It is a solid lifter cam like the original and similar (but slightly larger) specs.
And I can use stock lifters with this type of cam?

And I can use stock lifters with this type of cam?
You should be able to reuse the original pushrods and rocker arms as long as the new lifters are the same dimensions as the original ones. You need to check all that when assembling.

Last edited:
You can also use a hydraulic cam and lifters but you will need different pushrods to make it work.

If you do NOT want your cam/lifters to fail, have your factory lifters re-faced....

-
Back