273 Engine set up I'm thinking of going with, let me know what you think

-
I do not know the brand unfortunately. That cam was installed when I purchased the engine. I have been told it is the same specs as a 340 cam. It ran really good with that, flattened out at around 5500 rpm. Will you use the domed pistons for compression?

I found my invoice, the springs I got was http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-26986-16 ...

Thanks for the number. I just got a set of those myself.

...I'm actually a little surprised no one said this before now...took a whole week.

yeah well i didn't want to be a buzz kill.

my 2cents, originality means nothing anymore unless its a 427 corvette or hemi cuda. a 273 69 dart will never be a collectors item. heck they are already making driverless cars, so in 10 years "driving your own car" very well could be a thing of the past when they start to hike insurance premiums for those of use who don't want to text and be driven.

just build what you want, and for me its always most power least $.

machine work labor rate and parts are basically the same, might as well get the extra cubes.

its not a question of is the 273 a good motor, we know it is, just $ for HP a 360 will crush it every day.

also does the 273 have hardened valve seats?

yeah well i didn't want to be a buzz kill.

my 2cents, originality means nothing anymore unless its a 427 corvette or hemi cuda. a 273 69 dart will never be a collectors item. heck they are already making driverless cars, so in 10 years "driving your own car" very well could be a thing of the past when they start to hike insurance premiums for those of use who don't want to text and be driven.

just build what you want, and for me its always most power least $.

machine work labor rate and parts are basically the same, might as well get the extra cubes.

its not a question of is the 273 a good motor, we know it is, just $ for HP a 360 will crush it every day.

also does the 273 have hardened valve seats?

273 heads do not have hardened valve seats, but they do not crack. I've actually crushed a few 360's in my day with a 273. A 360 is a good motor. I've built a lot of them for other people. We just get tired of you guys butting in when we are talking about a 273, answering a question that was never asked. A 360 will fit where a 273 fits but it is not a simple swap. They are externally balanced and do not fit a 67 down automatic without a hub adapter and a special flexplate. The motor mount bracket is different on one side. With the extra torque things start to break or need to be upgraded. You have to look at the total package. When you do that it is not as cheap as you think. I've had both and I prefer a 273 on the street. They also drive differently. You will never touch a 273 for mpg and they can easily rev to 7k with a .500 in lift cam. As a matter of fact we never thought of a 360 as a performance motor. It took poor gas, lowering the compression of what you could run on the street, and available pistons to raise the compression on 360's to get to where we are today.

I hear ya...sorry for butting in.

I know you are trying to help, sometimes it all comes down to intended usage and what the OP is asking. If I was building a drag car or killer street brawler I would agree with you, and would not have butted in myself.

Sorry, I know it was not your question, Your response tickled me as I thought I was thinking the same as you. I get weary of the "scrap the 273 and replace it with a 360" comments whenever we discuss 273's. I agree with you that anyone should do what they want with his or her car / money.

No worries man-I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down

-
Back