273 heads on a (1977) 318 block

-

Arend Huisman

Reaction score
Hi! I just bought a 318 block of 1977. I want to put on my 273 heads (1964) on it. I know we will have to adjust the bolts because of the different angle.
I just wondered if i can use the regular (flat) pistons of the 318 or can i expect to get problems with the valve clearance?

Wishing you a very good new year!

Arend

It should be no problem with valve clearance unless you are running a super high lift cam.

I agree with Mike. The 8.9:1 compression were flat topped and the 10.5:1 we're domed with valve reliefs

I don't recall the flat topped ones haveing cuts

One of my previous cars (1972 Charger Rallye) had 273 heads on its numbers 318 when I bought it. There were no issues of any kind. Even without valve reliefs, the pistons are so far down the hole at TDC (about .080") you'd need a fairly significant cam to crash the valves.

Hi! I just bought a 318 block of 1977. I want to put on my 273 heads (1964) on it. I know we will have to adjust the bolts because of the different angle.
I just wondered if i can use the regular (flat) pistons of the 318 or can i expect to get problems with the valve clearance?

Wishing you a very good new year!

Arend
It doesn't matter if the heads are closed chamber or open chamber the valves are in the same location and height/distance from the deck. There'll be no problems with the valves interfering with the Pistons the only interference you could have is if you use some crazy pop-up Dome piston that wasn't shaped right for that chamber. The factory high compression Pistons are shaped specifically for that chamber and would not be a problem either.

Thanks for your info, that's good news. I just realized that when i use the original 273 intake manifold, there shouldn't be any problem with the bolting on because of different angles. Am i right?

Thanks for your info, that's good news. I just realized that when i use the original 273 intake manifold, there shouldn't be any problem with the bolting on because of different angles. Am i right?
The 64/65 manifolds have smaller bolt holes and at a odd angle compared to the 66and newer. Some member's have hugged out the holes and used some beveled washers to make it work.

You're opening post you state you are aware of the differnce in bolt angle n size.

I would just find an appropriate later manifold. But that's just me.

You're opening post you state you are aware of the differnce in bolt angle n size.
I thought i was aware of the different bolt angle and in my mind it were the bolts of the heads. Later on i realized that it's about the bolts that are in the intake manifold.
Well, that's what i think now. That would be no problem because i plan to use the 64 intake manifold as well as the 64 heads.

I thought i was aware of the different bolt angle and in my mind it were the bolts of the heads. Later on i realized that it's about the bolts that are in the intake manifold.
Well, that's what i think now. That would be no problem because i plan to use the 64 intake manifold as well as the 64 heads.
So a 2 barrel then

-
Back