273 Push rods too long??

-

TerraBella

Reaction score
any help please.
I am rebuilding my 65 273 comando.
I have some 302 heads that were rebuilt,bought off the interweb.
thay looked great and i had them touched up to remove a small anmount of surface rust.
at a machine shop.
when we went to put it back togather the push rods were too long even when we adjusted the rockers all the way out.
I have custom head gaskets from comedic 18thou thick. I wantded to get the cr up.
any help on what to do with the too long of push rod. can i just buy shorter push rods????
Please.. and thanks in advance

Yep. You may have to order a pushrod checker to find the correct length.

You can order shorter pushrods and you can get rocker shaft shims through Mancini.

you may have the 273 pushrods that are for the shorter solid lifters and are about 6.5" or so i think.
you will need something around 6.25" i think if you are using hydraulic lifters...someone here will correct or confirm that.

Yep TB. You running a hydraulic now? I got replacement solids when I rebuilt mine and they were different dimensions than the stock lifters.

I just went through this with my 66 273. I went with the Comp cam and lifter kit # CCA-CL20-210-2 and changed from solid lifters to hydraulics and my stock push rods were 7.500" which were .250" to long so I ordered new push rods from Summit. I ordered the Summit Racing push rods # SUM-G6420 which were 5/16 in. diameter and 7.234" over all in length they have the cup top and the ball bottom. They are very nice, solid steel and were only $43.97 compared to over $100.00 for some other ones. These push rods worked out just fine for me.
Bob

-
Back