273 Question

-

66FormulaS273

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an angled thermostat housing on my 66 - 273 but I've noticed other 273 engines with the verticle housing. Is one correct over the other? I thought maybe it was because of the A/C compressor getting in the way but I've seen the verticle one on A/C cars.

I recall that my factory iron thermostat housing is angled. I have a straight chrome one on now, plus an aluminum manifold. My 273 was not factory AC.

My 273 is an A/C car and you do need the angled housing to clear the compressor. If you upgrade to a performer intake, the angled housing will not work.

Went to your site Hell Fish and looked at the picture of your thermostat housing. Is that an aftermarket or original? I should have been more explicit with my description becasue the one I have is angled out toward the radiator, not facing the drivers side. Do you know if anyone does an aftermarket? A good used one would be fine.

Thanks guys for the response.

The one on my 273 I found at Oreilly's around 2002. Bolt pattern for t housings are the same for GM, Ford and Mopar V8's.

-
Back