273 rocker arm clearance

-

jawbone

Cuda_queer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What I have is a Hughes Engine rocker shaft and shim kit with modified 273 rockers. The rocker arm shaft comes with aftermarket clamps thus the stock dimension between rockers is lost. Have installed shims as to maintain center on valve stem. Does anyone have any knowledge as to what the stock clearance was between rockers or by experience what this might be. It can be expressed as between individual rockers and or clamps or as a total dimension just between clamps with rockers moved to one side. Hope my last statement is understood. If I had the hardware for the 273, I could do this but I don't. Thanks for any response. Jeff

My suggestion would be to use the shims to get the valves as close to exactly centered on the valves as possible, may .001 to .005 clearance. You might also want to contact Mike with 3B, he knows his stuff about correcting the geometry on rockers.

My suggestion would be to use the shims to get the valves as close to exactly centered on the valves as possible, may .001 to .005 clearance. You might also want to contact Mike with 3B, he knows his stuff about correcting the geometry on rockers.
Thanks. Have contacted Mike in the past but was reluctant to do so. Did not want to interrupt his paid for work.

Don't think there is a difference between intake and exhaust that I could see. If there is, now's the time to know. Used the shim kit to fix my problem. Worked great just need some advise on clearance issue. Jeff

Took some pics.
P1060127.JPG
P1060128.JPG
P1060129.JPG

Shims won't change the geometry. I measured .015 per pair once. Seems about right as they don't move much under load, constantly being pushed outboard.

-
Back