273 rotating assembly in a 318

-

spstacman

Reaction score
is a 65 forged rotating assembly lighter than a 318ci and will this help it rap up more like the 273

That is a wicked combo. De-stroke-n a 318 to a 305. Build it so you can run the RPM's way up. The 273 crank has a shorter throw.

One thing to consider with a 273 crank is that I think the shaft will not work with 68 and up torque converters without an adaptor bushing.

No, it does not change anything.
It's the same crank and rods.
When you install 318 pistons. it will be the same as a 318.

Correct!

273/218/240 = 3.31 stroke
360 = 3.58 stroke

If you want to use the fordged crank, have it looked at at the bearings surfaces and machined if needed.
Select the pistons for use in the 318. 273 pistons will not fit.
Check rods, new ones are cheaper than refurbishing old ones.
Balance it and install it.

No, it does not change anything.
It's the same crank and rods.
When you install 318 pistons. it will be the same as a 318.

May even weigh more because the forged crank is possibly heavier than the cast crank.... I have both sitting in my garage right now I guess I could weigh them... another thing to consider is that stock 318 pistons weigh more than stock 273 pistons so it is possible that you would have to add weight to the 273 crank to balance it and that costs more. I am going to do this swap and I am hoping that aftermarket pistons for the 318 are closer to stock 273 pistons in weight and minimal work will have to be done for balancing.

I was going to tell you about the balancing part, but i thought you would know that,and you do.
Find out what the piston weight was for the 273 piston and try to match it to the lightest 318 piston you can find.
If you can find a light enough 318 piston and balance the set to the same weight as the stock 273 piston, then it will cost less for the balance job due to less work and less mallory weight.8)

The 273 used the light duty rods. It is a bolt-in interchange if stock 318 pistons are used. IMO if one of the newer KB piston sets are used, the rotating assembly should be re-balanced.

early 273 i know for sure used floating pins, the only 318 that uses floating pins is a 1967 318..to use the 273 crank and rods you will need to order or find set of pistons that use floating wrist pins,,

early 273 i know for sure used floating pins, the only 318 that uses floating pins is a 1967 318..to use the 273 crank and rods you will need to order or find set of pistons that use floating wrist pins,,

.........Actually 318s used floating pins till the end of 72, 73 was the 1st pressed pins..............kim...........

you could be correct,, iread it on allpar.com,,but ide tend to believe the american 318 only had floating pins in 1967 as stated on all par,,,was just adding to his wondering about using 273 guts in a 318... any one building a 318 may know the truth,,lol

-
Back