273 taper limit?

-

Hipo65

Yeah I'm "That Guy"
Reaction score
Allrite fellow a-body poeple got the charger 273 out & totaly dissassembled saturday. heres where im @, the worst hole is rite @ .005 taper & was wanting real world exp on it if would be smart to over bore or just re re-ring & keep on trucken? id really like to keep the high comp pistons in there cuz that would save me apx 650-700 bucks in correct pistons & machine work. i cannot beleave how good it ran with the top ring gap's @ .078!! & #6 had a small pice of ring broken about 1/4 inch long just goen along for the ride never tutched the cyl wall that i can tell!!! & yes it did use oil mainly cold though. I just dont want a oil drinken pig in 10k again id think .005 would be good to go again but lets hear it. The rings were SHOT for sure so theres the oil consuption fer sure! (sorry spelling isnt my strong suit) now trannys on the otherhand...............

Out of round .005. Taper .010 maximum as per the factory service manual. tmm

I was hopen you would chime in tmm! Havent checked the out of round yet. Dropped my dial bore gauge & busted the needle off! so i resorted back to the ol T-gauges & big micrometer until i replace the dial bore gauge. Do you remember off hand what your masure ments were upon your dissambley? As you know i have that other 273 thats never run yet with flat tops & was thinken about pullen those pistons & droppen in a set of egges domed pistons & go becouse all else is done with that block other than re-ballence.

I was hopen you would chime in tmm! Havent checked the out of round yet. Dropped my dial bore gauge & busted the needle off! so i resorted back to the ol T-gauges & big micrometer until i replace the dial bore gauge. Do you remember off hand what your masure ments were upon your dissambley? As you know i have that other 273 thats never run yet with flat tops & was thinken about pullen those pistons & droppen in a set of egges domed pistons & go becouse all else is done with that block other than re-ballence.

Dang on the dial bore gauge! The telescoping gauges will get you close if done carefully. I don't remember the measurements when I took it apart. There was quite a bit of taper though. I bored it .030. Just measure everything and then measure it again to make sure. tmm

Yeah for sure on the dial bore gauge :sad3: doo doo do happen i guess im rattlen a few bushes to see if i can barrow one if not ill bite the bullit & get a new one. At least i go 1 bank masured before i dropped it & i re checked them with the T's & was withen .0005 of bore gauge.

-
Back