273 to 440 swap

-

Gerry Holmes

Reaction score
I'm hoping Jim Lusk will weigh in on this. Well i've got the Transdapt mounts, but the 383 i had lined up, isn't happening, but i'm finding lots of 440's. Now i've been told that the 440 gives better p.s. clearance due to the taller block, so i'm now thinking 440. Would anyone that's done the small block to 383 or 440 in an A body, please give me the pros and cons. Much appreciated Gerry

I dont think either the 383 or the 440 will make that much difference when doing the swap. One is a bit wider and taller but from my reading the header clearance is just a bit different with the 383. As for power steering i dont think there is many headers that will accomidate PS. I know the Pro-Parts headers do. If you havent been over already go over to bigblockdart.com and browse there tech section.

I've done both and neither is really harder than the other. There are just different clearance issues. The RB will have more issues around the master cylinder and heater blower motor. Running B-body HP manifolds will give more clearance issues at the right inner fenderwell, but none of this is insurmountable. As always it is easier to get the drivetrain in with the steering column out of the car along with the heater box.

Hi Jim thanks for your input. Is p.s. feasable? what about the feasability of the small style p.b. booster installed after the 440 is in? thanks again Gerry

Power steering is easy, but won't fit with certain headers. There is a 90 degree adapter that goes on the top of the gear to take the pressure hose away from the manifold.

I don't like power brakes in a-bodies so I've never tried it with any booster.

...I don't like power brakes in a-bodies so I've never tried it with any booster.

Please don't take this as being snide, I'm just curious. Why you don't like power brakes in a-bodies?

Was going to PM this to you, but thought the OP might want to know as well. Thanks!

I'm not a big guy, although I'm bigger than I was thirty years ago (I've been 5'10" since 1975, but have gone from 125lbs in 1978 to 192 a couple of years ago and back to 172 now) and I've never had trouble bringing a big block a-body down from speed in a panic stop with manual disc brakes. The only power disc brake a-body I've owned was my old 67 fastback which I swapped to manual brakes. The effort just isn't that hard.

Power steering is another story. I've had shoulder issues since my 20's, but I have built several manual steering cars as well as power steering cars. At my age and the way I like to use my cars I'll go with power now.

hey guys, thanks again for the info, and Jim i kind of agree with you on the brakes, it just came with the booster so i'd thought that i'd leave it on, but as i'm going to follow you on the removal of the column, heater motor and master cyl and booster prior to the 440 insertion, i just may leave it off, depending on what room permits. as usual many thanks, Gerry

I've only done 3 BB A body swaps, but I also prefer the manual brakes/steering. The first swap was a 383 with power steering, and after that one, they will all be manual steering. I much prefer the road feel of the manual steering. The manual brakes offer plenty of stopping power, and simplify installation.

u can get the schumaker headers they work great with power steering.view them at engine-swaps.com a 383 has more clearance room than 440. u can run a power brake booster as well with a 383 also

what if i was to make a manifold the same as this one, you have google (new left manifold from Accurate )This is the manifold that Accurate LTD used to make but no longer do because of cost. i have a couple of buddies, one a welder, and the other a 30 year experienced muffler guy who could handle the job. is there anyone out there who has used this manifold, and would it allow p.s.. I really would like to not have to use headers or cut the fenderwalls . thanks Gerry

Excellent! thanks again Jim, what a difference a picture makes. i can see all the trouble spots. would the other manifold that i mentioned up above that Accurate LTD. made, work as well, the only reason i ask is that it would sit lower and maybe give better clearance and cooling for the master cylinder, and i have C body manifolds and the means to make them like Accurate. Many thanks Gerry

If you have the c-body manifolds and the ability then, sure go ahead. I wouldn't finish the welding until I had everything in place, though. I was concerned about master cylinder clearance (the 440 pictured in those pics is the one in my son's Dart, but when it was in my old Dart). We've put over 35,000 miles on the whole package without a single brake issue related to the clearance.

Thanks Jim, i think i have pretty well all my questions answered, everybody's input has been great, and your input especially has been much appreciated. Thanks Gerry

-
Back