273 Torque converter & transmission

-
Reaction score
I picked up a 1967 plymouth barra with no transmission but it had a 273 in it. I found a 904 transmission and I bought a brand new torque converter for that engine ( the only one I could get). My problem is that the splines are different on the transmission compaired to the torque converter and now nothing fits. The 273 torque converter is a 18 spline and the transmission is a 24 spline. I cant get a different torque converter and I cant find a 904 A/T transmission with a 18 spline? Any suggestions ????

THANKS !

904's had the 18 spline thru 67 model year & then larger spline( think it is 27 not 24) trans from 68 until lockup units in 78 which had 26 splines. You just got a later than 67 904 & need a matched converter. The larger spline converters are readily available. Maybe you can return/exchange or sell the smaller spline unit. Would just change converters since you already have trans unless you want original setup.

Oldschoolcuda

The later model torque converters have a larger sout nose and will not fit into the engine. I think the later had a 1 3/4" and I need a 1 1/2".

The changeover for the 18 spline to 24 spline was 1968. The pre 68s also used a larger snout on the converter. You're easiest path will probably be to get a spacer ring to adapt the later converter to your 273 and round up a 24 spline converter for a 68 up transmission. The ring can be acquired from Pat Blais Transmissions 206-365-1966
He's probably got a decent deal on a torque converter as well, but those 68 and later for 273 318 etc are stock items for most shops.

He's got an ebay store too. He can help you with whatever pieces you need as he's a Torqueflite expert.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Torqueflite...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item33706e5369

OPS, I've got that backwards. The large snout is in the later engines so the adapter ring route won't help.

I suppose the transmission you've got is in good shape and not in need of a rebuild? You could change the front three main components in your tranny to the pre 68 style so it would have the early input shaft. Or contact Pat Blais and see if he has an adpter converter available.

Oh, sorry for this chopped up response but the spline count is 27 and not 24 too by the way....

I picked up a 1967 plymouth barra with no transmission but it had a 273 in it. I found a 904 transmission and I bought a brand new torque converter for that engine ( the only one I could get). My problem is that the splines are different on the transmission compaired to the torque converter and now nothing fits. The 273 torque converter is a 18 spline and the transmission is a 24 spline. I cant get a different torque converter and I cant find a 904 A/T transmission with a 18 spline? Any suggestions ????

THANKS !
Assuming your engine is a '67 model and the transmission you bought is good, just get a conversion torque converter. Any good converter builder should be able to make you one.

Lots of good info here about the change over in 68 to a larger converter snout and different spline count. One thing I'll add is I'd get under the car and measure where the converter slips into the crankshaft to verify if you need a small snout or large snout converter. You never know what the engine may have been changed to a 68 or newer.

-
Back