273 Valve Covers on 340 engine

-

Vinny ‘65

Still Mopar, after all these years!
Reaction score
I want to use my 273 Commando valve covers on a 340 engine with adjustable rockers. I was told that the adjusters will hit the baffles. Has anyone done this? Any remedies?

Last edited:
You don't have 'adjustable lifters' LOL, you likely have adjustable rockers. (Only other "adjustable" possibility is pushrods) What are they off of? In other words are they 273 OEM, or 340 TA, or some aftermarket? If they are OEM 273, of course they will fit, that's what they came under---those covers. If you have aftermarket, they might, or might not

I want to use my 273 Commando valve covers on a 340 engine with adjustable lifters. I was told that the adjusters will hit the baffles. Has anyone done this? Any remedies?
Yeah
You don't have 'adjustable lifters' LOL, you likely have adjustable rockers. (Only other "adjustable" possibility is pushrods) What are they off of? In other words are they 273 OEM, or 340 TA, or some aftermarket? If they are OEM 273, of course they will fit, that's what they came under---those covers. If you have aftermarket, they might, or might not

Yeah, my bad. The adjustable rocker arms are off of a 273 commando engine and they’re now in a 340 with X heads. The valve covers are from the same 273.

Last edited:
I don't know the cam specs, of your particular apps,, but possibly more cam lift could cause interference with the 273 baffles, but I'd be mildly surprised if it did. At any rate, they make valve cover spacers, if there's an interference problem.

I ran a .500 lift cam with 273 valve covers with no problem

Put em on and try
If it clears you're good
If it rattles get something called a "valve cover spacer"
(Or double up on the gaskets)

I don't know the cam specs, of your particular apps,, but possibly more cam lift could cause interference with the 273 baffles, but I'd be mildly surprised if it did. At any rate, they make valve cover spacers, if there's an interference problem.
Thanks

I have them on my 340, crane adjustable rockers and no issues.

F3128A7E-B292-4537-B914-16206297D063.jpeg

-
Back