273 water pump questions

-

ron hug

Reaction score
putting a 1968 318 in a 64 a body do I need to put the 273 water pump on it?

Last edited:
Cast iron water pump was used from until 1969, then the aluminum pump debuted in 1970. Unless someone changed the pump to aluminum over the years it should work fine.

Cast iron water pump was used from until 1969, then the aluminum pump debuted in 1970. Unless someone changed the pump to aluminum over the years it should work fine.
70 and up will move his lower radiator hose to the passenger side and not match his radiator and cover over his timing tab. Bad idea. sorry

If you read what I posted you should be able to understand what I said. I have seen people put 70-up aluminum pumps on 69-down engines and have issues...

If you read what I posted you should be able to understand what I said. I have seen people put 70-up aluminum pumps on 69-down engines and have issues...
those are the issues we're having. Hose the wrong side. so we have a 70's pump which isnt working

70 and up will move his lower radiator hose to the passenger side and not match his radiator and cover over his timing tab. Bad idea. sorry
you can use timing tape and modify the stock pointer so it's all on the other side. works great if that's the only problem
07.JPG

those are the issues we're having. Hose the wrong side. so we have a 70's pump which isnt working
you can also have a radiator shop move the inlet to the other side. have also seen people use two hoses and a coupler to get it to wrap around to the other side. neither is the best fix, sometime you do what ya gotta do. the best fix is use the timing cover, water pump and radiator from the same group.

Does anyone know if the length (fan side) of the water pump is the same.

In other words- can you swap the two pumps and the fan is exactly the same distance from the radiator?
I have a 74 318 in my 66 barracuda. It is really tight with the Champion radiator with the correct outlets made for this combination. I’m trying to see if water pump is issue or radiator is closer to engine than a factory one should be.

Sorry for taking this thread- sending it back. Lol!

I would look into the bottom pulley between the years. If they are the same, then your chances are good. Impossible to tell from the water pump pulley since they are completly different. Good luck

Their is about an inch difference in the length of the 69, and older, and 70, and up water pumps. The 70, and up are longer and will move fan closer to the radiator. Also lower hose is on opposite side.
Dave

-
Back