285 xtreme comp cam?

-
What is your engine? Converter, trans? Rear ratio? If its stock, auto trans and 3.23 gears its gonna be a dog. On the other hand if you have the correct carb, good intake, proper heads, 3000 converter and 3.91s its gonna rip

Should do nicely then. What is your rear tire size? You dont have the valve springs that came on the eddy heads, do you? Hopefully you bought them bare and put good springs on.

You have 26+ height in the rear tire depending on pressure. How does your converter launch now? You are gonna have a good bit more lift with the 285.

Are you looking for more power, or it's not pulling cleanly? What are the ET, MPH, and incrementals? The 285HL is a great cam, but you should not be "running out of rpm" if that's the case. You may find it get's a little soft on the 60' with it, depending on how much the convertor likes the change. If it's a 10" convertor (the 9.5" shell) then it may not like it that much.

Right now it pulls strong to 6300. I'm running 8.0s 1.71 60ft. I'm looking for just a little more power. Comp said this would make more power in the top end. I am running a 9.5 PTC 3200 converter.

Are you looking for more power, or it's not pulling cleanly? What are the ET, MPH, and incrementals? The 285HL is a great cam, but you should not be "running out of rpm" if that's the case. You may find it get's a little soft on the 60' with it, depending on how much the convertor likes the change. If it's a 10" convertor (the 9.5" shell) then it may not like it that much.

I went on and emailed PTC before I do anything.

mph tells more of the story. It should be mph in excess of 87 mph or something isn't right.

The current build should be in the 400ish range for hp. At 3300# something isn't happy.

I'd be expecting a little more - closer to 325-330. What is your mph? Track times will tell reality even beyond a dyno.

What rpm are you trapping at? Have you tried lowering shift points? I'd expect what you have to peak much lower than 6300 and you may be losing some ET/MPH there.
In my opinion - the 284H will not give you much more over what you have. You might try going to a solid flat tappet instead of hydraulic. Something that give more area under the curve without raising the cuve too much... Torque rather than horsepower. Something like the XS274S or 282S if you really want "more". Look for another 4-5 degrees @ .050 and anothr .030-.050 lift. With what you have you're only getting about .460 lift at the valve which leaves a bit of those heads' abilities on the table.

-
Back