2bbl with headers?

-

'71 Scamp

Reaction score
I'm sure it's been covered here many times but I am fairly new and just considering modifications. I have a 71 Scamp with 225 and factory a/c. I am looking for a little more performance so I bought a 2 barrel intake and carb, the guy gave me 2 rebuilt Carter 2 barrels and a Holley 2 barrel that needs work and a Super six air cleaner that fits one of the Carters. He surprised me by throwing in for $20 a set of Hooker headers for it too sweet right?
But now I have a ton of questions.
1. Is a 2 barrel carb and headers a good setup? Should I look for a 4 barrel set up or not use the headers at all?
2. Should I retain the egr system or block it off?
3.The headers have a fitting coming off cyl #1 pipe looks like a hose fitting where would this connect to?
4. How do I go about converting to electronic ignition? Where are the parts available?
Lots of questions I know but you guys are the experts and I am willing to learn.
Thanks guys

Attachments

• HPIM4672.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 434
1, 2 and 4

headers are a great thing to run ...I would run headers even with a one barrel......the better the exhaust system the better it breathes.....imagine working out and you can't exhale ....kinda like that. A 2 barrel is a great set up ...I have had a 4 barrel before and the four barrel is a bit much for daily street use and the one barrel is a bit weak ...so IMO a 2 barrel is ideal

you can convert to electronic on the cheap or go with a fancy MSD system or some HEI Chevy set up....I usually do the conversion on the cheap using factory Chrysler parts for about 30 bucks

jegs has the new wiring harness and the ECU and dizzy can be found used and auto zone has the ballast new and your voltage regulator and coil can be used re-used

unless the egr system is complete and working ...which they usually are not ....I would block it off.

hookers have 1 5/8" primary tubes which is way to big for a stock engine, i think for what you are doing a manifold with a 2.25" head pipe and full exh with nice muffler (flowmaster super 50) and you'll be set. with the headers you have alot of issues with linkage and other stuff.

1, 2 and 4

headers are a great thing to run ...I would run headers even with a one barrel......the better the exhaust system the better it breathes.....imagine working out and you can't exhale ....kinda like that. A 2 barrel is a great set up ...I have had a 4 barrel before and the four barrel is a bit much for daily street use and the one barrel is a bit weak ...so IMO a 2 barrel is ideal

you can convert to electronic on the cheap or go with a fancy MSD system or some HEI Chevy set up....I usually do the conversion on the cheap using factory Chrysler parts for about 30 bucks

jegs has the new wiring harness and the ECU and dizzy can be found used and auto zone has the ballast new and your voltage regulator and coil can be used re-used

unless the egr system is complete and working ...which they usually are not ....I would block it off.

i dont agree on the 4 barrel. i properly tuned 2 barrel vs properly tuned small blade 4 barrel will get better power and mpg on a stock motor. im keep my eye's open for those 400-500 cfm holley carbs, those with a mech secondary will really make a great setup

ok, well I stand corrected ...OP ...listen to 805moparkid ....I am learning too. slants are a different animal than v8s

i dont agree on the 4 barrel. i properly tuned 2 barrel vs properly tuned small blade 4 barrel will get better power and mpg on a stock motor. im keep my eye's open for those 400-500 cfm holley carbs, those with a mech secondary will really make a great setup

I had a 390 cfm holley and the head was milled 70 thousands and it didn't do very good ....it ate too much gas and didn't have the performance to justify it .....so I went back to the one barrel since two barrels are pretty hard to find unless I have not been looking in the right places

ok, well I stand corrected ...OP ...listen to 805moparkid ....I am learning too. slants are a different animal than v8s

just an opinion Rani!

I had a 390 cfm holley and the head was milled 70 thousands and it didn't do very good ....it ate too much gas and didn't have the performance to justify it .....so I went back to the one barrel since two barrels are pretty hard to find unless I have not been looking in the right places

well .070 is part of your problem, i bet you used an off the shelf felpro head gasket right? that pretty much killed all your gain!

i'd pop them headers on there and the 2 brl.carb and go cruizen....sharp looking scamp btw.

mike bee

A four barrel will get better mileage almost every time. Especially in the case of the Thermoquad or Rochester Queerdrajet. Their primaries are much smaller than most two barrels. You have to remember, a two barrel, unless it is a progressive carburetor, opens both at the same time. That would be like a four barrel opening all four at the same time. I have never seen a factory stock two barrel V8 beat a factory stock 4 barrel V8 for mileage. Ever. Not once.

But regarding the OP's question, use the 2 barrel. It'll work good.

just an opinion Rani!

well .070 is part of your problem, i bet you used an off the shelf felpro head gasket right? that pretty much killed all your gain!

I actually saved the gasket that came out of that engine ....im an OCD packrat that does not throw away anything !!! LOL :D

I didn't mill the head and put this together I actually bought a whole car with this set up already in installed ....I was really happy about scoring the setup but then after it ran like poo poo I was disappointed and pulled the engine and put in a different slant with a one barrel.

I drove the milled slant with the four barrel to Denver which is almost three hour drive and it literally ate more gas than my other dart with a 440 and it didn't run very good either :sad7:

Attachments

• CIMG3316.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 424
  • CIMG3315.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 430
  • CIMG3313.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 419
  • CIMG3314.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 433
I actually saved the gasket that came out of that engine ....im an OCD packrat that does not throw away anything !!! LOL :D

I didn't mill the head and put this together I actually bought a whole car with this set up already in installed ....I was really happy about scoring the setup but then after it ran like poo poo I was disappointed and pulled the engine and put in a different slant with a one barrel.

I drove the milled slant with the four barrel to Denver which is almost three hour drive and it literally ate more gas than my other dart with a 440 and it didn't run very good either :sad7:

first off throw it away, second your crazy, third that was your problem. at a .037" compressed and 3.510 bore you have to mill about .020 just to compensate for the gasket (stock is .021 thick), and then another .090 (average but have to spec) for the correct compression!

That 2bbl will work great. I milled a slant head 100 thousands and put a 2bbl (super six) on. Without the header, it ran really good. It would burn the tire for quite a ways from a dead stop. It smoked a 3.3 dynasty and behave like Fuel Injection on the streets. Oh, Rani, if you want to find the 2bbl set up, you have to start popping hoods on all the volares/aspens/diplomats and dodge trucks. :)

i had an offenhauser 4bbl intake and a manifold on my car and ran an 18.15 changed out the manifold for headers and dropped down to a 17.76. considerable gain in seat of the pants feel for an hours work. the gain should be comparable with the 2bbl. i would run everything. if you could post a pick of the thing on the no.1 header tube we might be able to tell you what it is. as far as the electronic ignition imho hei is the only way to go. sign up a slantsix.org and search hei conversion. it uses off the shelf parts and is superior to the mopar electronic setup.

My dart runs a 225 with twin barrel carb, headers and electronic ignition. This was all installed by the previous owner who said when he made the changes the difference over stock was quite surprising. The intake is from an Aussie VC Valiant. I have had to play around with the mixture screws at idle and it runs real nice and smooth. I have access t656285562 -1982o two different dual carb setups which I may try at some stage.

My dart runs a 225 with twin barrel carb, headers and electronic ignition. This was all installed by the previous owner who said when he made the changes the difference over stock was quite surprising. The intake is from an Aussie VC Valiant. I have had to play around with the mixture screws at idle and it runs real nice and smooth. I have access t656285562 -1982o two different dual carb setups which I may try at some stage.

The first aussie val to have a 2bbl carb was the VE, 160hp model....same in the VF as well.....all before this, and std 145hp models were single barrel carbs.
The points were different for the VF Pacer model....instead of the usual GB534 points, they ran the GB752....had a higher spring rate......IIRC, std was about 12oz, and the GB752 were 17oz.

Nice Scamp! I have the same set up 225/6 w/ac and am in the process of doing a complete overhaul (rebuild engine w/2bbl Holley, and repaint).I plan on using a stock exhaust manifold and adding 2inch exhaust pipe instead of the 1&3/4 .Yes, I love the color and will repaint the same!
Regarding the ignition I bought the pertronix conversion kit to replace the points and will add the MSD ignition coil to improve performance and mileage. I also added subframe connectors, a front sway bar, front disc brakes, and replaced the torsion bars to .920 diameter as I am more into the handling aspect. I do not have i n the road yet so I can`t give a true review but I can`t wait to finish the project and go for a ride.
Good luck!

-
Back