2k over epoxy and epoxy over 2k

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Laid down 2 coats of epoxy on my hood followed by 3 coats of 2k. discovered some filler work i didnt see and blocked and guided coated. Broke though in a few spots. Is it OK to lay down a coat of epoxy on top of the 2k for the break though spots then back with 2 coats of 2k for final block?

Not really necessary as long as the bare spots are small. but yes you could spray epoxy over the primer surface.

Not exactly small spots. Noob at body work I tend to over sand my fillers. Learning though. Just wasnt sure if I could go back with the 2k again. i know they say to watch how thick you get your primer.

I would say as long as you don't lay it on too thick & they are both the same name brand, you will be fine

Gotta let it cure, as I'm sure you know, epoxy primer sucks to sand until you let it sit for a few days. If you gonna coat over it, let r rip.

Gotta let it cure, as I'm sure you know, epoxy primer sucks to sand until you let it sit for a few days. If you gonna coat over it, let r rip.

good point! Or take advantage of the respray window, most will let you spray the primer over within a day. Spray reduced epoxy one day, if it is nice and smooth, next day spray your 2k.

couldn't you just etch prime the areas that you broke through and re spray with the high solids?

You need to be sure that the etch primer is completely covered with primer before base coat or it will bubble on you I experienced that

What I have been doing is shooting the Epoxy waiting about an hour then going back with the 2k which is what I will do this time as well. Seems to work well

It's been a while since I was in the body industry, but if we broke through on a sizeable area, we would etch, some shops even use a 1k spray bomb etch on small areas, and like dodge71demon said, prime the area and over lap. "Bull's eye's" can occur if you don't have proper coverage and non compatible primers. If your breaking through, obviously you're high in that area, so putting some high build well into the lower areas is important or you're just going to sand your new primer off again.

A product we used from time to time was "spritz" or "feather-fill" it was like a spray on body filler that was put on after the body work was done (either etched metal or bare, cant recall). We'd long board that and then prime and block. Helped make laser straight panels.

You have to watch what you put feather fill over. Most Ploy primers cant go over etch primer or bare metal. I think your going about it the correct way by spraying a little more epoxy but also remember most 2K high builds are direct to metal now so if you cut through a small spot just kit it with 2K.

Also, If your taking to much filler off and need to re-apply some more also fill past your last application. Otherwise you will have an issue with feathering the edges.

You can also spray some guide coat on to the filler to help keep you from taking off to much or not enough.

-
Back