2nd gear kicking out

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
My 4 speed just started randomly kicking itself out of 2nd gear recently. When it does do it it's a very hard kick and goes into neutral scaring the crap out of me when it happens. I have noticed that somewhere on top of the trans is actually vibrating against the trans tunnel. I don't know if this is actually has anything to do with it or not. If the trans is messed up, where can I get the parts to rebuild? Is this something that can be done by a novice with a manual? I did put this entire car together myself. So, I do have some mechanical skills. It is an A833 18 spline a body trans. Thanks for any advice!

or detent cogs from sliders are in bottom of case. check tranny mount as worn out one that has colapsed or broke will cause some of that also as it binds stuff up

Or worn teeth on the gear.

You got it.
The interlock angles on the teeth are worn down where they don't interlock, but now push away from each other.
One other thing that can cause that is that the second gear itself is loose on the shaft and moves around allowing the interlock function of the teeth to jump apart from each other.
Syncros are only for engagement, not for staying in gear.

Note these teeth that interlock into the slider ring that the shift fork moves to change gears.
They are slightly tapered so they tend to pull into the ring locking them together.
The more force on the gears, the harder they resist separating.

I exagerated the angles slightly so you can notice it better.
When the angles of those cogs wears to the point that the angle is slightly tapered the other way they jump out instead of pulling in.
(Hence the hard BANG when it jumps out of gear)

Attachments

• gear.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 164
-
Back