2nd Gen CUDA ELECT. FUEL PUMP MOUNTING

-

kent spaulding

spauldo
Reaction score
Plumbing the ride(68 FB Cuda 2" dual exhaust to rear valance) I have made my own sump on a stock tank which looks absolutely beautiful but how can I keep my elect. fuel pump below my sump without interfering with my exhaust pipes?? I know this subject :violent1:has been beat up here several times before but I'm looking for fresh ideas or something that REALLY works???:prayer:

I mounted mine on the outside of the spare tire well. It is just forward of the rear valence on the right side.

Are you sure the pump must be below the sump level? Some pumps can suck fuel 5' high. At least that is what I have read here recently about Walbro EFI pumps. My pumps are in the engine bay on the side of the frame rail and never had a problem.

I'm in the install phase of my converting my 1968 carb type fuel system to EFI. The low pressure side uses a traditional low pressure electric pump that I have to find a place to mount as well. You asked for fresh ideas, so here's what I'm doing.

(EDIT) When I first responded to this post, I probably incorrectly assumed you were plumbing for EFI, so bear with me regarding the high-pressure surge tank info. Besides that difference, plumbing our fuel systems have the same "where to mount it" issue going on. I'll be looking for a place to mount mine under the car today, but it's going to end up being positioned near mid to top tank. Mostly to keep it up and away from road debris etc.

As far as having to mount the pump at or below the bottom of the fuel tank, a lot of that depends on the pump. A large percentage of the electric pumps out there specifically state that they DO need to be mounted at or below the pick-up. On my 1970 'Cuda, I decided to run a Product Engineering pump specifically because it is rated to be mounted above the fuel tank. I have mine mounted in the trunk, well above the top of the highest fuel level. It is an amazing pump, but you can hear it( last pic).

I decided to leave the following info for those who may otherwise need it. Sorry for my initial mis-directed response.

I'm running a surge tank, fed by a low pressure externally mounted (traditional electric) pump that feeds from the fuel tank. It pushes the fuel up to the front of the car where it fills up the surge tank and then returns to the fuel tank, all at 0 psi, but high volume. I'm going to mount a new tank, modified sending unit, fuel and water separater, a pair of 3/8's aluminum fuel lines and low pressure pump this weekend. I will post more pics later.

The surge tank I picked uses an internally mounted pump, of your choice, to feed the high pressure, high-flow, bypass-regulated, high-pressue side of the system. I've attached a diagram (showing and externally mounted high pressure pump), but you will get the idea.

The main benefit of this type of system is that it is extremely resistant to allowing air into the high pressure side of the fuel circuit, even at high g's and low fuel levels. With your sumped tank, it will be even better. I'm using a stock, un-sumped tak with 3/8's feed and return.

Attachments

• SurgeTank.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 295
  • Surge_tank_internals.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_3209 (Large).jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 'Cuda prepaint 009 (Large).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 212
I finished mounting my low pressure fuel pump, 2-micron, high-flow filter/water seperator and ran my 3/8" feed and return lines from the engine compartment to the tank. It was a tight fit with the dual 2 1/2 " exhaust and rear swaybar, but it's tucked up out of the way and clear of all moving parts. I added some heat shielding to the lines that come close to the exhaust and along the side of the fuel tank just in case.

Attachments

• IMG_3259 (Large).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3258 (Large).jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_3257 (Large).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_3256 (Large).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_3254 (Large).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_3260 (Large).jpg