2nd time out for the new Dart

-

71gtdart

Reaction score
you may recall when I posted about the Darts 1st track day a couple weeks ago. made only one pass and the car was all over the track. went a 7.10 at 94.24 mph. got back to the pits and saw that the nuts and washers had pulled through the poly strut bushings. installed QA1 strut rods later that week, and took it to have it realigned. the goal for the car is to run 6.80's or 90's in the 1/8th mile.

fast forward to todays test and tune.

car went a 6.904 @97.95 mph straight off the trailer. did nothing to the car and went down for a 2nd run. spun the tires very bad and went a 7.003 @97.03 mph. lost over .05 in 60ft. friend said he thought there was a little water on the start line from the car in front of me. so, we do nothing but drop a pound of air and make another pass. went 6.939 @ 97.22 mph, but was still off .009 from the original 60 ft.

so, now we go into a discussion at the trailer. I ask him if the body and the rear axle look to be seperating too quickly, and hitting the tire too hard. he says its hitting it pretty good. so, I get under the rear and tighten the shocks 5 clicks to slow the seperation down and ease the shock to the tires. I also take the 6,000 rpm module out of the shifter switch, and put in a 6,400 module.

next pass the car picks up the 60ft time to a 1.480. the original 60 ft time was a 1.490. it also like the extra 400 rpm's before it shifts, because it runs a 6.862 @ 98.38 mph! now we're getting somewhere. so I let the car cool off for a while instead off just cooling it down to 140 degrees and taking right back off for the lanes. I get it to 140 degrees and we sit and talk for about 30 or 40 minutes.

after letting the car settle my next three runs looked like this....

RUN 1
60ft 1.478
330ft 4.365
660ft 6.835
mph 99.03

RUN 2
60ft 1.477
330ft 4.366
660ft 6.838
mph 98.85

RUN 3
60ft 1.476
330ft 4.363
660ft 6.832
mph 99.02

I think I can bracket race with that, guys!

EGT said the carb was just a little rich today, but it wasn't terrible. if the air had been a little better I think the car would have went 6.70's with no trouble. I still need to put a 6,600 module in the shifter to see if the car wants a higher shift point, and I'm only 2 stepping at 3,000 rpm. moving the 2 step up may pick up the 60 ft time. A wise man would leave the thing alone, and let it do its thing when the points races start in 2 weeks. however, I have never been accused of being wise, lol! my buddy said " I would take that thing home, and not even wipe the dust off of it". LOL!

Congratulations! What a awesome day you had compared to last time. I always had a hard time not playing with things too, but man, those last runs were sweet. :thumleft:

Looks like you've found some settings it likes! Keep playing with the launch revs and you'll find another sweet spot.

what did your reaction times look like also?

first time using a transbrake. Im an old foot braker.
Went -.021 and -.017 the first 2 runs. Adjusted the button for more travel and had a -.007 backed up by a .000! More travel for the button and was .03's the rest of the day.
Next test and tune will be about dialing in the button and where i leave on the bulb. Going from a car that 60fts low 1.60's to one doing high 1.40's is an adjustment. May even play with a blinder.

Nice job!

I'd not mess with it if it's putting down consistent ET's. IMO, leave it a bit fat as it will usually be less sensitive to temp/DA changes.

first time using a transbrake. Im an old foot braker.
Went -.021 and -.017 the first 2 runs. Adjusted the button for more travel and had a -.007 backed up by a .000! More travel for the button and was .03's the rest of the day.
Next test and tune will be about dialing in the button and where i leave on the bulb. Going from a car that 60fts low 1.60's to one doing high 1.40's is an adjustment. May even play with a blinder.

Don't change where you leave on the bulb change the T-brake button.
Which button do you have?
Or lower air pressure on front tires.

Don't change where you leave on the bulb change the T-brake button.
Which button do you have?
Or lower air pressure on front tires.

I agree about not changing where I leave on the bulb. I worded that wrong and meant how I leave on the bulb. as in using a blinder and other little things. I adjust tire pressure as well. on the old car I ran 32 lbs in the front tires during the day and dropped to 29 lbs when the sun went down. it worked out real well for me and kept me consistent on the tree. I have a Jegs brand adjustable button that I believe Biondo makes for them. it works pretty good.

images

just something else here for reading entertainment.

the guy who taught me to race runs a 68 Camaro. 355ci with a 2.73 first gear ratio turbo 350 trans in it. we run the same size tire. its an old stock eliminator car that he actually won the IHRA Divison 2 championship with in 2005. he just bracket races now, and has made a few small changes to the car.

anyway, he went 6.84, 6.85, 6.84 on his final three runs of the day. we were looking at our time slip comparisons after we loaded up.

he was pulling 1.43 sixty ft times to my 1.47's. at mid track we were near mirror images of each others time, and then on the big end, of course, we were just one hundredth apart, with me having only a slightly higher mph.

the difference?

his low gear 3 speed trans was giving him the sixty ft advantage over my 1.76 first gear powerglide. however, at mid track my 408 is starting to out breathe his 355 and the powerglides lower rotating mass is helping as well.

just funny at how you can mix combos around on 2 different set ups and still be so close. the track announcer said he smells a grudge race coming, lol. I'm gonna tell him that the Snake and the Mongoose used to get paid for match racing, lol.

I used to run that one 3 years ago but from Biondo now I run the Terminator button.

yeah, my buddy has the Terminator button in his car. It seems to work well, and I almost bought one. just looked like the Jegs type had a finer adjustment since it doesn't use the spacers. in reality it most likely doesn't matter either way.

just something else here for reading entertainment.

the guy who taught me to race runs a 68 Camaro. 355ci with a 2.73 first gear ratio turbo 350 trans in it. we run the same size tire. its an old stock eliminator car that he actually won the IHRA Divison 2 championship with in 2005. he just bracket races now, and has made a few small changes to the car.

anyway, he went 6.84, 6.85, 6.84 on his final three runs of the day. we were looking at our time slip comparisons after we loaded up.

he was pulling 1.43 sixty ft times to my 1.47's. at mid track we were near mirror images of each others time, and then on the big end, of course, we were just one hundredth apart, with me having only a slightly higher mph.

the difference?

his low gear 3 speed trans was giving him the sixty ft advantage over my 1.76 first gear powerglide. however, at mid track my 408 is starting to out breathe his 355 and the powerglides lower rotating mass is helping as well.

just funny at how you can mix combos around on 2 different set ups and still be so close. the track announcer said he smells a grudge race coming, lol. I'm gonna tell him that the Snake and the Mongoose used to get paid for match racing, lol.

Yes that is cool!
I too run a glide with a 1.80 gear and my 60fts are avg 1.30-1.31.

RUN 1
60ft 1.478
330ft 4.365
660ft 6.835
mph 99.03

RUN 2
60ft 1.477
330ft 4.366
660ft 6.838
mph 98.85

RUN 3
60ft 1.476
330ft 4.363
660ft 6.832
mph 99.02

I think I can bracket race with that, guys!

Nice consistency. Now you have yourself a bracket car, so go turn on some win lights. :supz:

-
Back