3.09:1 64-66 slant six 4 speed

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
the early 4 speeds ,64 or so, were the same as the max wedge trans...

i believe the 74 and later ones were all od trans...

the early 4 speeds ,64 or so, were the same as the max wedge trans...

i believe the 74 and later ones were all od trans...

If I understood what you said, I'm pretty sure that "all" early 4 speeds were NOT "the same as a max wedge trans."

I HAVE a 4 speed --somewhere--out of an early Barracuda that has the rear drive flange (like my 64 440 body (Polara) had) AND has a 3.0x first gear. My recollection is this came out of a 274 4bbl car (cracked/ frozen block)

I'm pretty sure the big V8 cars were NOT 3.09 first

A quote from AllPar

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/four-speed-manual.html

=============================================================================
Right from day one there are two distinct versions of this box: A-body (later to be used in F-bodies) and B-body (also to be found in later C- and E-bodies). Initially there are three main version-to-version differences: extension housing and mains haft length, low-gear ratio and rear-flange size. The A-car box, while every bit as strong as its larger cousin, carries a 3.09-to-1 low gear, designed to help launch small cars with even smaller
==============================================================================

yeah the 3.09 is the slant six box, but they revived it in 1974 and some early 75 318 cars before the o/d unit came out.

If I understood what you said, I'm pretty sure that "all" early 4 speeds were NOT "the same as a max wedge trans."

I HAVE a 4 speed --somewhere--out of an early Barracuda that has the rear drive flange (like my 64 440 body (Polara) had) AND has a 3.0x first gear. My recollection is this came out of a 274 4bbl car (cracked/ frozen block)

I'm pretty sure the big V8 cars were NOT 3.09 first

A quote from AllPar

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/four-speed-manual.html

=============================================================================
Right from day one there are two distinct versions of this box: A-body (later to be used in F-bodies) and B-body (also to be found in later C- and E-bodies). Initially there are three main version-to-version differences: extension housing and mains haft length, low-gear ratio and rear-flange size. The A-car box, while every bit as strong as its larger cousin, carries a 3.09-to-1 low gear, designed to help launch small cars with even smaller
==============================================================================

thank you for fixing that for me... i just remembered reading somewhere that in 64 or earlier that they had only one trans and used it in all cars (except for different fitment options)...

thanks for clarifying...

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back