3.8 Mommyvan off idle knocking...

-
Victory! and some closure. Wife told me she was scared it would blow up and was going to bring to dealer to check noise tomorrow. Well, NOT ON MY WATCH! (or dime!) So at 8:00 PM, I started to drop the pan to check the rods, pins and timing chain. To my suprise there was no cross pan engine cradle to work arouns, only a STUPID trans bracket that trapped the convertor cover which overlapped the pan rail, so off they came after hunting for a 18mm socket and almost breaking my 3/8 drive taking the trans bolt out. 14 or so 10mm pan bolts and it was off. All the caps seemed to be in order, no movement besides the normal side to side .005 or so. Timing chain looked limp as a sick dog but its a silent type so it aint gonna break on us and its alot of work to change out if it aint slapping something. I had about 1/2 deflection on the limp side! no worries. Thought I would check the convetor bolts as one was sitting right there at 6:00. Sum-***** that thing was loose! I gave it one full turn and torqued it and went on to the rest, ALL were LOOSE, and one was 3 turns out! Now im grinning as I think I just dodged paying for a short block or a new car payment. CHECK your convertor bolts! Thinking back to the sound it makes complete sense now. It was a HOLLOW sound, like a drum; either pan or valve cover or convertor and stamped pans and covers would be very tinny, this was a solid tap. So the manual should say "At 150K, oil, lube...and retorque convertor bolts"...Now to change out those noisy half shafts.....and Ill be done...?
tumblr_m5za21JQiu1qza49co1_500.png

-
Back