3 engines, 3 intakes

-

chrgdrt

Reaction score
Engines:
416 (340, .030 over, 4” stoke) eddy heads w/minor bowl work & gasket matched, 10.5:1, Howards solid 254/260 @ .050 .550/.555 on 108.

340 .020 over, iron heads 2.02/1.60 valves gasket matched, 10.4:1 mp 296/557 solid cam, hooker 1 3/4 super comps. Auto w/4.30 gear In 73 challenger street/strip, mostly strip.

stock ‘77 360 currently stock cast iron intake w/adapter and eddy 650, w/68 340 exhaust manifolds thru 2 1/2 exhaust in 67 Cuda street only 4 speed w/3.23 sg

Intakes:
M1 single plane, this one’s been cut to fit the 416 so I guess this one stays.

Six pack currently on the 340 but I’m thinking it might be better suited to the 360 for street duty

Rpm air gap on the shelf but I’m thinking this one for the 340 with 750dp. Better top end and easier tuning for strip car.
What’s your guy’s thoughts?

416, good cam all around, it a right at the single plane doorstep imo so the m1 for max hp, but I know for fact the rpm air gap wont hinder 7200rpm at all and will probably have better sub 6000rpm average tq.
I'd leave the 360 to its iron manifold or just scrape up another rpm.

I've never really been a fan of the 6 pak outside a restoration deal. Jmo.The 6 pak is snappy...if you have good condition carbs and the manifold is worked...but I'd use the dual plane for simplicity

I would put the Airgap on the 360, leave the 416 with the M1 (since you have it), and put a Victor on the 340 since it is mostly strip. If money is a problem then sell the 6pack to fund the Victor (personally I would put a Victor on the 416 too, if money was not an issue).

Edit: I use a Victor on my street/strip (mostly strip) 67 Barracuda.

I would put the Airgap on the 360, leave the 416 with the M1 (since you have it), and put a Victor on the 340 since it is mostly strip. If money is a problem then sell the 6pack to fund the Victor (personally I would put a Victor on the 416 too, if money was not an issue).

Edit: I use a Victor on my street/strip (mostly strip) 67 Barracuda.
I agree with the vic340 intake.lol
But he has 3 intake and none are a vic 340.

Rpm airgap
6 pak
M1 single, which if anthing... weld that one up to square and use a ported to match spacer.

I’ve run the M1 without and with a 1” spacer on the 416 and it definitely liked the spacer, it was a slightly smaller hydraulic cam.

I like the 6 pac on the 360 for the street, the carbs are in good shape, I bought them new so I’ll probably keep them. I’m just not sure on hood clearance in the barracuda.

the RPM on the 340 I’m thinking should pull harder everywhere. With the 6pac she’s soft down low and likes about 6800 for shift points.

maybe I sell the cast iron…. But that won’t be near enough for a Vic 340

The original 6 pack set up won't fit on the 60's Barracudas unless the hood is cut to accommodate it. The P.O. of my car had it cut and scooped (snorkel) already, although I prefer the 6 pack scoop. Having new carbs for that 6 pack is 90% of the tuning battle won. Once the carbs are messed with problems multiply.

BTW I'd love to have your problem with the 3 different combos. Nice!

Last edited:
The biggest cubes. Dragsters do not use lawn mower engines....

The original 6 pack set up won't fit on the 60's Barracudas unless the hood is cut to accommodate it. The P.O. of my car had it cut
I have to disagree here, back in the day I had a 68 340 formula S, That I installed a 6 pac on but the air cleaner was the stamped steel base that came on the 440’s, it just cleared the hood less than an1/8”. My current ac is a fiberglass replica of the aar/ta base which is about 1/4 to 3/8 thicker/higher hence my concern. Throw in build variations and I think I was just lucky then..

Ah okay, mine is the original setup and air cleaner(69). Picture for reference. It will not clear the stock hood.

DSCF0080.jpg

What would be different between the Barracuda and a Dart? I have a Sixpack on my Dart, but leave the hood insulation off.

360, air gap. 416 M1. 340 six pack that's where it belongs. I'm really surprised that you feel the six pack is soft down low and in the middle. I have run both an M1 and currently run a six pack on my 340 and have to give the mid-range to the six pack. With the M1 possibly squeaking out a few HP on top.I don't think I would go the direction of a dual plane on a 4in stroke I don't feel you need a few extra pounds of torque on that set up and have found the M1 to be a very versatile single plane . Whatever you choose it's a good problem to have good luck.

IMG_20210615_172807050.jpg

360, air gap. 416 M1. 340 six pack that's where it belongs. I'm really surprised that you feel the six pack is soft down low and in the middle. I have run both an M1 and currently run a six pack on my 340 and have to give the mid-range to the six pack. With the M1 possibly squeaking out a few HP on topView attachment 1715861086

I think the reason it feels soft down low is not enough converter for the cam.

-
Back