3 on the tree .. just curious

-

rdb

Reaction score
I realize not Mopar specific...

About when did 3 on the tree manual trans stop on US cars, whether Ford, GM, Chrysler?

Anyone know when the last MoPar 3/trees were finally cast aside?

I can remember going to an enclosed trailer set up for driving training back in 1967, when I was in high school. All the driver simulator stations had 3 on the tree. I don't think it mattered what gear you were in. They just wanted to see if you stopped when a little kid darted out from behind a parked car on the big movie screen. Anybody else remember this?

Sorry to go off on a tangent. This was really old school!

I can remember going to an enclosed trailer set up for driving training back in 1967, when I was in high school. All the driver simulator stations had 3 on the tree. I don't think it mattered what gear you were in. They just wanted to see if you stopped when a little kid darted out from behind a parked car on the big movie screen. Anybody else remember this?

Sorry to go off on a tangent. This was really old school!

We never got that fancy stuff. In 65-66 we had a 56 Chev 6 moredoor 3 on the tree, a and two ex- USFS staff cars, a Stude (don't remember what) and a '58 Chev powerslide

On Friday afternoon we had the '58 came back to the dirt parking lot behind the school. We were "officially" early, and I guess the destructor wanted to kill some time. He wanted to know if we could change a flat tire. Of course the only girl (sorry Rani) could not, so we had to take the time, and had to CAREFULLY block the wheels on the 58. ....... rocks... So we took the tire off, showed her how to use the jack, put it back on. The instructor told us to go ahead and go home, "He'd put the car away."

So we walked away, heard the car start, and the mighty Chivvy six groaning, the groaning AGAIN, then a tire spun in the dirt. We had forgotten the rocks under the tires. We all thought that was hilarious, of course.

I never got to drive the Stude much, but we drove the 58, and the 56 a LOT

-
Back