3 on the tree to the floor

-

YY1

Reaction score
I'm considering a clean /6 3 speed 66 Barracuda for something fun to drive.
How hard would it be to convert the column shift to a floor shift?
What coulmns will work, and what ones won't?
I'm pretty sure a floor shift "hump" is easy to find (buy new), as well as a shifter.
(although a few shifter pointers might be appreciated).
I think I know where some 63-64 A bodies are for parts.
I also think the columns changed in 67 due to safety laws.
Thanks much.

The floor hump is only available new through Brewers and only in fiberglass. If you want steel you will need to buy used.

I did this conversion on my 63 dart, I used a tilt column from IDIDIT. The hardest part was matching up the wiring from the 63 to the newer column. I used the Flaming River coupler to finish it off.

Just use your 3-on-the-tree column, I did this swap in my 66 and most people don't even notice the column. I pulled the column and I took a die grinder and cut off (flush) the mounting tabs for the shift linkages at the bottom where they hook up. Then, I took a pop can and with a tin snips cut out a cover to go over the hole. this worked perfect cause it is round/curved, I painted it and used a screw hole that was already there to attach it, also painted the column. Nobody has ever even noticed it, it looks factory :glasses7: Up on the top where the shifter goes I took the grinder and cut off the tab for the old shifter. I still have to cover the hole and paint it but that is easy. I didn't care about the orignal column cause it is better now :thumrigh: You can save alot of money doing it this way too :cheers:

Floor hump is a 1-year only part, need to find a used one or get a fiberglass one. One from a 64 or 65 will fit perfect but has a smaller shifter hole (different shifter in those years), could probably be cut open though. 67-up humps take more of work to fit good and then the carpet might not fit that well, when you do get it in. Save yourself a headache and find an original one. In my car I am running a stock Hurst stick from a 69 340 Dart.

Just use your 3-on-the-tree column..................

Looky here. Don't be comin on here tawkin some big time genius smack without showin it off. All that sounds awesome. Pics man, pics. lol

That's what I figured. Not too concerned with 100% correct.

It is a "survivor", though.

I have a 67-72 4 speed hump if you need one.

-
Back