3 Point Seat Belt Conversion

-

brkooduh66

Reaction score
I have a 1966 Barracuda. I am wanting to do a 3 Point Seat Belt Conversion, but I am reluctant to order a kit, because I want to see how it looks in the car first. If anyone has done this install, or knows someone that has, i'd love to see some pictures.
I'm looking at this kit from Classic Industries. "MA687701 - 1964-67 MOPAR A-BODY FRONT BUCKETS BLACK 3 POINT RETRACTABLE SEAT BELT SET WITH CHROME LATCH".
There also a mess of them on ebay.
Thanks,
Brkooduh66

Attachments

• seat belts.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,465
Save yourself a ton of cash and go to https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/

Order a 140" belt with a 12" fixed section and an 8" shoulder extension. $80.95 each, so $162 for a pair. Or you can get them with a metal buckle for $10 more.

I have a set in my Duster, they work great. Shoulder drop is perfect, and they're the exact same dimensions as the ones you'll get in that kit, for half the price. They're also the same dimensions as the XV belts I have in my Challenger. The only thing you might need that comes in that kit and not with the seatbeltplanet belts is a 3" flat bracket, so you can mount the retractor and end of the belt in the same place.

I will take pix of mine tomorrow for you. and look up where I bought them.

Later: mine is in a 71 Plymouth Duster, do you still want to see it?

I don't think your 66 model has a anchor in the roof for the shoulder belt.
You may already know this. Some have found aftermarket retractors interfere with seat travel unless that anchor point is changed. You're wise to do the research. Good luck

I don't think your 66 model has a anchor in the roof for the shoulder belt.
You may already know this. Some have found aftermarket retractors interfere with seat travel unless that anchor point is changed. You're wise to do the research. Good luck

Yes, On my 71 Duster, I had to move the anchor point back about 12-18" or else the seat would never move. It barely moves now

when I did the headliner there was no factory anchor for shoulder harness, i'd have to fab something.
thanks for the tips on places to purchase. what I really want is to see some working examples on a early Barracuda. in my imagination it would look stupid to have a strap hanging down in a hard top car, but i'd guess I need to see one to make a final judgment

A friend of mine bought his from http://www.ssnake-oyl.com , he said he paid under 100 for 3 point belts for both front seats in a 66 Fury. I'm not sure how he anchored them though. I'm sure the main thing is not price but safety, then price. I'd like to see some pics for an early a.

I too would also be interested in this. I have a 67 Valiant, not an early a but I'm sure the belts would be close fit as well. Checked out the ssnake oyl site above and they do have a lot of colours to pick from and some hardware kits as well. Has anybody else ever bought from them?
any pictures to share on any brand?

I too would also be interested in this. I have a 67 Valiant, not an early a but I'm sure the belts would be close fit as well. Checked out the ssnake oyl site above and they do have a lot of colours to pick from and some hardware kits as well. Has anybody else ever bought from them?
any pictures to share on any brand?

I had considered finding nice late model Chrysler convertible seats for my 64 Dart before I sold it- The shoulder harness is built into the seat...

I checked out Snake Oyl. I really like the "Non-Retractable". I'm assuming they would tuck into a hanger when not used (i'm remembering my dad's 72 duster). I've emailed several companies that 3 point kits asking for photo's...no response as of yet. customer service these days, I tell ya

still no pictures of a early A with 3-point seat belt conversion? Wesco did answer my email saying to use ITEM#CH201BP. Although I do like the non-retractable version (seams more period/era correct) but they said to attach to the roof. I still think a strap hanging down in a non-post car (hardtop) would look stupid. so I am thinking about treating it like a convertible (like Gib said)View attachment 3pt instruction.jpg

Dudes check this out! Found a picture on a Google search.
Its picture from a Ford Musty-nag, but this is what I want to see

Attachments

• classic-mustang-retractable-seat-belts-conversion-f.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,286
and...

Attachments

• classic-mustang-retractable-seat-belts-conversion-l.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 2,631
hmmm, guest I just answer my own question. Thanks self. Your welcome me. Don't mention it, you. Ok, I wont, but good job, your awesome!

:violent2:

On my 65 Valiant 2 dr hardtop, I originally mounted the retractor similar to you diagram above.. but later moved the retractor up to the beltline.. Works good and has passed a safety Inspection. I used a large supporting plate in behind the panel to support the mounting point. Accessible without taking the window out, just the inside panel. On the floor I am using the original mount on the outside edge and at the center hump.

Attachments

• DSCN1224.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,145
  • DSCN1223.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 1,192
  • DSCN1226.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 1,289
Thank you ken5124 :cheers: a must do very soon 8)

-
Back