3-Point Seat Belt Install

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
A few days ago I promised a how-to story on installing 3-point retractable seat belts in my `68 Fastback. This same procedure should apply to ALL Mopars that had those horrible 2 piece lap/shoulder belt - bondage/S&M devices that came from the factory. If your a numbers matching / date code correct enthusiast please try not to cringe. This is a Hot Rod story....

When I first purchased my car in the fall of 1998 I knew then that I was going to modify it. I wasn't even going to attempt a numbers-matching resto. But every modification I did make is reversible. And those factory seat belts were on the list of upgrades. I bought these belts from http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/conversion-van-seat-belt.html for about $150 shipped to my door. They are advertised as replacement belts for conversion vans. This version gives you a 7" drop bar for the upper mount. This will lower the belt over your shoulder instead of across the side of your head and neck.

The first modification that was required was to fabricate a 3/8" steel plate to move the belt retractor reels rearwards about 5" to clear the side of the seat hinge. The factory anchor points are too far forward for the reels to fit alongside the seat.

SANY0003-vi.jpg

I slightly Z`ed the plate to allow the nut for the reel mount to clear the rocker panel and make it a cleaner installation. When I re-skin the seats and replace the dash next year I'll probably send these down to my favorite Gal powdercoater and make `em REAL pretty. :-D

http://phoenixspecialtycoatings.com/

SANY0005-vi.jpg

Here the reel is mounted to the extension bracket. While at first it looks kind of questionable, the force is coming from above and it *shouldn't* act like a pivot. Besides, I lock-tited the mounting bolt in the rocker and torqued it down REAL good....

SANY0006-vi.jpg

This is the passenger side belt.Here you can get an idea as to how it all works & looks. The front mount goes into the original anchor hole, along with the front of the extension bracket. This spreads out the 3 mounting points of the seat belts and gives a true lap & shoulder restraint.

SANY0009-vi.jpg

Here the extension bracket with the mounted reel is bolted in place. You can see the front mounting bolt holding the end of the belt anchor in place.

SANY0011-vi.jpg

This is where my palms started to get sweaty..... I installed the headliner without marking, or taking note... of the upper seat belt mounting anchor. Thanks to my Pal Steve (REDFASTBACK) and others, I had the measurement and I found the location. Thanks guys!

SANY0012-vi.jpg

Here's the upper sash installed. See how much lower the belt is? This positions it in a more comfortable, and no doubt SAFER, location. Plus your just grabbing a buckle instead of fumbling with the two belts.

SANY0013-vi.jpg

SANY0014-vi.jpg

There's a good number of Hot Rodders out there that build insane amounts of horsepower for their cars and leave in the out-dated safety items. My Buddy Tom has a stroker small block `68 Dart that's probably over 500 HP with the nitrous and he's STILL running 9" drums ON ALL FOUR CORNERS!!!!!!! I refuse to ride with him and I bust his balls CONSTANTLY to up grade before he hurts himself, or worst, someone else. For me, a good set of seat belts is as important as a good set of brakes. Or tires. Or functioning lights. Having confidence in my cars abilities allows me the opportunity to do something really stupid once in a while and scare myself good. 8)

Besides, if anything happened to my Wife, or any passenger, I'd hate myself for not "doing the right thing" and updating the safety along with the performance.

SANY0041-vi.jpg

Nice job John, keeping the torso in the seat is very important! I have shoulder belts in my Barracuda but not in my Dart or (of course) the convertible. Once you`re used to driving cars with shoulder belts there`s a certain sense of security lost when driving a car without them. When searching for things behind the headliner you can use chalk on its side to outline the hidden holes.

Did all A Bodies have upper seat belt mounting anchors?

Fastback I totally agree: I'd hate myself for not "doing the right thing" and updating the safety along with the performance.

I got a set of belts from XV, and should have them installed next week. Nice job on the show and tell. I also agree with making a complete package, suspension, brakes to match horse power.

Great post, thanks! I've been just putting it off wondering where I was going to go in this regard. Now I know. Thanks again.

Did all A Bodies have upper seat belt mounting anchors?

I believe once seat belts were federally mandated (circa`66? ) the shoulder mounts were produced with the car but the actual shoulder belt was still an option for many years.

Seat belts were federally mandated in 1967.

As for the how-to thread, I enjoy helping our membership with procedures I learn first-hand. I'm so sick of people giving advice without any information. That's why I have over 800 photographs of my car going together. Somewhere there's someone whom is about to do something I've done. Why not post the pictures and share the details?

Thanks again for the compliments. That's why we're here: to help each other.... :-D

Good stuff. I did something like this in the Demon using belts from a B-200 van. However one goes about it, the belts should be installed as close to original geometry as possible making sure that the belt is not forced across edges that may cut the belt causing it to fail (e.g. Dale Earnhardt, Sr. fatal crash at Daytona.)

According to my info, Federal legislation requiring the installation of seat belts was passed in 1966. Twenty-three states had legislation requiring installion on all cars sold after 1/1/64. All US manufacturers had them standard by the 65 model year. All were providing rear belts at the outboard positions by 1967. Non-detachable, 3-point belts were required at the front outboard positions in 1974.

My 66 Darts owner's manuals listed a shoulder belt as a dealer installed accessory. This would have been of the lap and sash (2 belt variety).

Thanks for the clarification on federal seat belt requirements. I myself am a firm believer in safety belts, but I truely don't want a debate over the pro's & con's of everyone's personal belt usage.

Now all I have to do is contact Hagerty and up the insurance coverage so the car can sit all winter.... :-D

I just throw the loops over the halo bar in the roll cage for shoulder straps...no drilling of the headliner.:cheers:

That is fantastic, John! I too hate the 2 (3?) piece seat belt deal in my 69 Dart, but I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible. On my next Dart, I will do something similar to yours with the seatbelts.

Nice work, and thanks for the pix.

George

That is fantastic, John! I too hate the 2 (3?) piece seat belt deal in my 69 Dart, but I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible. On my next Dart, I will do something similar to yours with the seatbelts.

Nice work, and thanks for the pix.

George

All it takes is removing, and re-installing, 4 bolts..... DONE. There is some fabricating of the extension brackets though, but the retractable belt is much more comfortable. I did the drivers side earlier today, and naturally, I had to road test the new belt. It felt just as comfortable as my Wife's GTI.

You can revert back to the stock belts for a show or re-sale in about 10 minutes. 8)

For whatever reason, the pictures definitely don't match the text.
Since i have run into this exact same problem with my 3point belts, id love to see the reel relocation plate. Been thinking of something similar.

For whatever reason, the pictures definitely don't match the text.
Since i have run into this exact same problem with my 3point belts, id love to see the reel relocation plate. Been thinking of something similar.

Holy back from the dead thread Batman!

where are the upper seat belt mounting anchors (for 3-Point-Belts) in the back seat? can somebody post a picture for orientation? I had a 1967 Dodge Dart. But i don´t think my car has the upper seat belt mountings anchors.

I came across this old thread too, looking for pics on how to install rear seat belts for my kids in my '69 Dart.

-
Back