3 speed bell parts same as 4 speed?

-

Gimike812

Reaction score
I am sure this info is already posted but have not found it yet. What parts are interchangeable on a 3 speed bell housing to a 4 speed bell housing. inspection covers? clutch fork? anything else i am missing?

Are you talking about the Bell Housing as well? If the bell housing has both 3 speed and 4 speed transmission bolt pattern then it should be good.

BUT...the 3 speed has a 4.35 inch bearing retainer (at least mine does) so you would have to make sure that the 4 speed that you use has the same size bearing retainer.

I'm doing the same thing in my Duster. Going from 3 speed to 4 speed. So far, my bell housing seems to work. I'm reusing my clutch fork. The throw out bearing seems to be the same because it fits on the 4 speed input shaft. You can reuse the inspection cover as far as I can tell.

I hope that helps.

Did this swap years ago, as Joesedge said the bellhousing has to have the bottom right hole for the 4 spd. Its out farther than the 3 spd hole. If you have that, slide the 3 out and slide the 4 right in. Nothing else needed.

The car is a 64 Valiant, original slant 6 3 on the tree car. I am dropping in a 318 and backing it with a T-5. I procured a cast iron 4 speed bell housing according to the numbers it is a A833 bell from 64-66 for a 273. I was able to swap out the clutch fork pivot bracket to the 4 speed bell and the fork looks like it will work inside of the bell housing but now it looks like my Z bar linkage is incorrect. And I still need a fly wheel and inspection cover.

The car is a 64 Valiant, original slant 6 3 on the tree car. I am dropping in a 318 and backing it with a T-5. I procured a cast iron 4 speed bell housing according to the numbers it is a A833 bell from 64-66 for a 273. I was able to swap out the clutch fork pivot bracket to the 4 speed bell and the fork looks like it will work inside of the bell housing but now it looks like my Z bar linkage is incorrect. And I still need a fly wheel and inspection cover.

You could shorten the Z-bar or get one from Brewers.

-
Back