3 speed duster transmission id

-

alaskamax1

Reaction score
I picked up a 73ish plymouth duster that had a 6 cylinder motor, 8-3/4 rear and a supposed 3 speed manual transmission. My question is that when I row the gears, it appears as though it has 4 gears. do I have a 4 speed trans?

If you have a H pattern on forward gears it could be the overdrive trans. 3 speed with 4th being the overdrive

This^^^^^and if you get under the car on the driver's side and look at the linkage that goes from the transmission to the shifter, there will be 2 rods if it's a 3 speed, and 3 rods if it's a 4 speed or 4 speed O/D.

Just to be clear, an overdrive IS a 4 speed. Chrysler and Fraud both did this, and maybe GM. GM did use some Chrysler OD 4 speeds!!!

All they did was to "re gear" the original "4 speed" third gear so that third is now overdriven. Then they turned the 3--4 shift lever on the gearbox upside down, so that when you put the shifter in the "old" 3rd gear position, the gearbox is actually in the "old" 4 speed FOURTH position, that is, "straight through" or "high gear."

Then of course when the shifter is moved to the "old" 4th gear, the gearbox is actually in 3rd, no overdriven.

Might be good to note that this means the "traditional" high gear.....straight through.....is much much stronger than the OD gear, for either HP or trailer pulling.

-
Back