3 speed manual and 2.76 gears with /6

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there was a a combo like this. 3 speed manual and 2.76 gears with /6. Im asking because I'm thinking of this combo with my 64 Utiline D100. No towing or hauling only driving.

It would work great in a duster (first in those 3 speed gearboxes is really low) but im not sure about a heavier vehicle with larger tire diameter.

Should get good mileage and keep the revs low on the highway.

I have a love and hate relationship with 2.76 gears. I love how you can drive on the highway and the motor is barely revving, what I hate is how they suck off the line! LOL

what gear set in the trans?

I have a slant six/ 833 OD and 2.76 with a set of P205/75/R14 in a dart right now and the 833 OD is essentially a 3 speed with the OD. The first gear is the 3.09 and it helps quite a bit but its still a bit soft off the line.

Definitely wont be a fast vehicle but it will do great on the flat or downhill highway. Here in Colorado I find the that even on the highway I have to keep it in the 1 to 1 gear on the up hill grade to keep up which would be your final drive. So I would say that it would take some getting used to but it will be an ok setup.

Attachments

• gearteeth.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 317
IMO I would go a little deeper on the gears, and the reason I say this is that in 1970 I bought a 440 -6 cuda with auto and 2.76 gears and hated driving it in town(what a pig )but out on the interstate nothing could touch it (not the hi-way patrol or anyone else) and because I had to put my foot into it in town to move along I got poor mileage too.

It had a 160 speedo and would peg it easily but the handling at that speed was so bad it was scary

with the clutch remember the heavier the vehicle, the more it takes to get it rolling!!!! I had a 67 383 cuda, 4 speed, the gear was 2 . 74, great mileage, but even with that light car, it felt a little funky getting it rolling.
for instance, 383 roadrunners, I ve had dozens, ...... i.e., 3:23 with s tick. hated it, great with AT, a stick and 3; 55 was great combo, a fairly heavy car talking of with the road chicken......

I drove a Dart Lite for years with the A833 OD and it was fine and dandy with the low rear gear and OD in the Appalacian mountains. I could cruise up all interstate grades in OD, even Christinasburg Mountain on I-81 and the WV Turnpike. On steeper grades I would drop it into 3rd and could climb any grade at 70-80 mph if I wanted. I do agree that you should look at your tire size and figure out how much % change there might be vs an A-body; some older low end 1/2 ton trucks came with 14" wheels and tires originally so you may be OK.

Just wondering if there was a a combo like this. 3 speed manual and 2.76 gears with /6. Im asking because I'm thinking of this combo with my 64 Utiline D100. No towing or hauling only driving.

What gear is in the D100 now? Maybe base it off that. You certainly don't want to be "double clutchin" to get her moving.

I have had many d-100's all of them had 3.55 or 3.91 stock.

What you have proposed with 2.76 gears will not work, think of it you are shoving alot of frontal area in the wind, most likely with 28" tires.
With that combo you will not be able to hold 70mph up hill on the interstate.

The truck is not an A-body that has somewhat aerodynamics, it is a big flat brick.

Humm.... A lot to think about. It has 3.91 and A 745 in it now. Highway speeds are a no no. I found a 3.23 and 3.55 today. Im considering a build of a 360 and 904. Which one with that combo? I know it's not an Abody but y'all are the go people. Thanks.

whatever you do with it ....its a cool build. :thumblef:

there is someone I know locally thinking up a similar setup. its 70 shorty stepside and he is thinking slant six/833 od/ 3.91

Humm.... A lot to think about. It has 3.91 and A 745 in it now. Highway speeds are a no no. I found a 3.23 and 3.55 today. Im considering a build of a 360 and 904. Which one with that combo? I know it's not an Abody but y'all are the go people. Thanks.

I also have a 2.94 I could take out of the Dart. Not sure how much it matters on tire sizes but, I'll probably run a 27-28 tire like a 215/75/15. Here is a progress picture for those interested in trucks.

Attachments

• IMG_0712.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 283
If you already have a 2.76 and a 2.94 I would give it a try and see how it drives then if it needs a little more umph then switch in the 2.94. Whats it take to switch a 8 3/4 gear? maybe a half an hour? The slant sixes really have a lot of torque anyway and with the 3.09 first it should take off fine. I would lean towards the 2.94 myself. Oh, by the way, that's a cool truck.

Yeah that is one of my favorite trucks of all time... nice.

And you can put in one of Doug Dutra's torque cams with stock valve springs and get some more torque.

I'm changing the diff anyway since it is noisy and it has (1964) tapered axles. Just trying to decide and future proof, if possible, by getting the 3.23 or 3.55. It will be highway driven and the calculator says 28 inch tire a little over 2700 rpm. Should be good for 360 or /6. What do y'all think?

I would use the 3.23 with a 360 and a 3.55 if using the 6.

An auto changes the whole thing.... the torque converter slippage and torque multiplication makes it NORMAL to use a significantly lower rear gear than a manual. If you are not towing or hauling and are not wanting the maximal off-the-line performance, then down at 3.00 or less is the way I would go. 2700 RPM calculated will be actually be more like 2800-2900 rpm with a non-locking torque converter, and even 2700 will be a noisy RPM at 70-75 mph on the interstate. I have a '62 B-body Dart with /6 that has a 3.31 rear and 3 speed manual and it is not a comfortable interstate crusier with the RPM's up around 2700.

And as far as performance.... I had a '70 Ranchero with a warmed up 351C (set up as a good breather but cammed and carbed for low end torque), C4 trannie, stock converter and 3.00 rear axle and it would beat 440 B-Bodies and 340 A-bodies all day long. It was fun to have the 1-2 shift up a 55 MPH and the 2-3 shift up at 85 MPH! So you can have plenty of grin factor if you go with that 360 and keep a 3.00 rear axle for good interstate crusing.

Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions. I'm going with the 3.23. If I have issues I'll put the 3.91 back in until engine and trans swap comes one day.

You should be ok if it is fairly flat where you live.
I had 3.91 225 and 3 on the tree in the last one I had. It had 295/50/15 on the rear.

truck52006.jpg

-
Back