3 speed to 4 speed behind slant six

-

gadodge

Reaction score
I have a 65 dart slant six with 3 speed on column, I also have an A833 overdrive that came out of a truck. I havn't taken the trans out of car yet but do any of you know how much trouble I'm looking at to swap the 3 speed for the 4 speed?
Here is picture of the A833.

Attachments

• A833 with OD 001.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 516
You need to make certain the tranny is the same length, it is probably longer since the A body transmission has a short tail shaft, which makes it more difficult if that is the case. If it is the same length, then you need to cut a whole in the floor and add a hump for the 4 speed shifter. If the donor transmission has a long tail with a rear mount like the ebody style, you need a different shifter linkage since the shifter mount in an a body must be further forward to clear the seat.

You will have to look at your bellhousing to see, there are two mounting patterns, one wide and short and one like the tranny in the picture. The made some bellhousings with noth patterns and some without. By the way, the tranny in the picture is a long tail and not normal for an A body, but can be made to work. If you search this site you can find a patter for an adaptor to move the shifter to the a body position using the rear mounting holes. The shifter shown is mounted in the B body position, so the linkage would not work as it is too short. If you used it you would need to shorten your driveshaft as well.

Hey Marksmopars, thanks for the info on the bell housing and trans. I have since found a 318 I'm building and also an A body A833 OD trans. It looks like this is going to be a easy convert.

Interesting.

Both truck 833 o/d units I have use the rear mount with a short extension that puts the shifter about 2 inches forward and 2 inches above that rear mount.

Both Mine are from 80's D150s.

What's yours from?

...and I'll have a slant bellhousing for sale soon.

Interesting.

Both truck 833 o/d units I have use the rear mount with a short extension that puts the shifter about 2 inches forward and 2 inches above that rear mount.

Both Mine are from 80's D150s.

What's yours from?

...and I'll have a slant bellhousing for sale soon.

The one pictured came from a 83 D150.
The A833 with aluminum case I'm using in my 65 Dart is from from a duster I think.
I'm still looking for a floor shift tunnel hump or at least a picture of one with some measurements so I can make one.

Wow.

Mine are form a 1980 and 1986, and have totally different shifter mounts from yours, yet both of mine are the same!

The OD833 wont fit in the 3 speed bellhousing, the input bearing retainer on the trans is too big.

I have a slant six dual bolt pattern OD bellhousing if you need one.

-
Back