3 speed to 4 speed

-

Muad'Dib15

Reaction score
Hello

I found a guy around my house who apparently bought a 66 Dart with a 360/833 combo, took the 833 out and has done nothing with the car since he has a 1970 Charger. What would be required to put the 833 in my car, which originally had a 3 on the tree. I left the clutch pedal, it's just under the carpet right now as I have been intending to put a manual back in when I got a transmission. I know I need a new floor hump to clear the drivers side of it, but what else would be required to change?

May need a little more information. You should have no difficulty bolting it in to your bellhousing as it should have both bolt patterns already. You may need to swap transmission yoke as there were two sizes. Put a new ujoint in now if you have to swap. Remove all old linkage. Buy a new floor tunnel. Mark it and cut it about 1-1/2" inside the markings and trim where needed. Usually a little extra trimming around the shifter area is needed. Install a floor shifter. Driveshaft length is so close you won't know the difference. That is of course it's a splined output shaft and not an earlier trunnion model. Take care leigh

You would need all the manual parts like clutch linkage and bellhousing. The 360 has its own balance for flywheel and dont mix it with a 310 or other flywheel. Then your floor hump is 66 only unless you can find a 64-64 one with a shifter as they were different.

I actually haven't been able to talk to the guy yet, All I know is that he lives close by and one of my coworkers knows him. He's going to talk to him when he comes in and let me know.

You should have no difficulty bolting it in to your bellhousing as it should have both bolt patterns already.

Maybe not. The 3spd bell housing in my 68 Barracuda only had the bolt pattern for a 3spd. You will need to verify that.

-
Back