3 speed variable wiper switch

-

rednesss

Reaction score
So my 68 cuda had the 3 speed variable switch and motor, but I'm not getting all of the speeds. Low seems to work and then where you would expect a click to medium and fast just isn't there. The variable does work. I know these switches are rarer than hen's teeth so I was wondering if anyone had ever found a more modern switch that could be used in the originals place??? I don't dare try and take the switch apart to see if I can fix the contacts as I'm sure I'd never get it back together again. I thought maybe so long as all I would have to do is maybe drill out the hole a little bigger in the dash and the pot metal backing plate that wouldn't be that hard. Any ideas or anybody ever try this????

There is no other switch that will work to the best of my knowledge. Here is a link to test procedures on the motor to make sure the motor is working correctly. http://www.wiperman.homestead.com/index~ns4.html

If it works then look at getting a new switch. There are ways to make others work but you will have to park the wipers by turning the switch off at the right time. They won't park on their own.

Jason

The motor has just been rebuilt by Mopar Essentials and man does it look good. I was wondering if you could modify a switch from say a E or B body 3 speed variable as I was able to find a couple of NOS ebay listings but the shaft of the switch looks a little longer than the one that I currently have.

The switches were the same for all the variable motors to the best of my knowledge. You should be able to use one out of any car. I may be wrong but this is just to the best of my knowledge. I do have a pin out of the back of the switch if you need it.

Jason

The parking at home part is totally different. Early models went full cycle to stop at home while later models would reverse from anywhere in the cycle to go home. You dont wanna fry a rebuilt motor. I went into a 67 model 3 speed switch once. The overload (bymetal strip) that interupts power when frozen to glass or whatever was cracked. Same switch different problem. I repaired it with a cycling circuit breaker outside the switch. Your right though in saying its not easy to take apart and put back together correctly but it can be done.

So my stash of 70s wiper switches won't work in a 68?
Crap. I have been looking at getting a 68 Barracuda.
I run the same switches on the two and three speed motors. They just don't use all the contacts.
The park function is in the motor I thought.
At least on my 73 and 74.

The park switch is in the motor (on the gearbox) but the switch sends power to reverse direction on later model. Just totally different schematics.
Get this... My 67 waher resivoir is cracked and I dont really need a washer anyway so, I used a scotchlock connecter to join the washer pump lead to a park switch lead at the bulkhead connecter. I push the swich knob (like I want wash) briefly and get "one sweep" intermitent wipers. Neat huh ? Never figured out the same for the later model reversing motors.

Crap, I saw action on this thread and thought I was going to come read the solution to my dilemma. Sigh, oh well. Guess I'll keep looking for a repop to come along finally or find a NOS one and take out a second on my house to pay for it.

Crap, I saw action on this thread and thought I was going to come read the solution to my dilemma. Sigh, oh well. Guess I'll keep looking for a repop to come along finally or find a NOS one and take out a second on my house to pay for it.

Yeah excuse me for playing with your thread. Heres the thing though ... I have the same motors and switches here ,one in the car and one on the shelf. I'm not so sure you need a switch. There aren't a lot of audible clicks to thoseswitches or even easily felt clicks.
Starting from off you get a click that is set low speed. From there you wind through a reostat that increases the speed (so medium is the variable) and at the end of that is hardly a click to set high speed.
I suggest you hook it up and run it. Take a test light to the motor leads and watch the current go from 1 wire to the next. If every wire gets power at some point the switch is working. Remember the switch is chassis grounded. Without that ground you can't get stop/park/off. Good luck

It was my understanding that variable speed wipers had no set speeds being it was variable. At least that is how my '70 Challenger was, it would click to on then the wipers would speed up as I turned the knob until it reached the stop.

Chuck

-
Back