3 speed wiper swap ?????

-

70-duster

Reaction score
I currently have a 2 speed wiper motor in my 70 duster. I have a 3 speed wiper motor and switch out of a 74 dart. What all do I need to do to swap this over into my 70? Do I need to switch out the arm assembly as well? A mouse chewed on the wires for the motor so I will need to rewire the motor, but it still worked. What wiring under the dash do I have to do as well? Thanks.

If you want to convert to 3 speed, you'll need the motor assy with under hood wiring and the switch. The wiper transmission is the same that year.

The arm that connects to the motor needs to be filed out slightly to fit the 3-Speed Wiper Motor. The slot is slightly smaller for the 2-Speed, but otherwise the same. That was one of the first modifications I did to my '74. I swapped out the 2-Speed & Foot Pump for a 3-Speed & Electric Pump.

Took me maybe 5 minutes with a File to open up the slot on the 2-speed arm enough to fit the 3-Speed motor

Yes, in '74 the wiper link is different between the 2 speed and 3 speed. In '70 it's the same.

When did they change? Because I had to file out the arm on my '71 Demon to fit a 3-Speed motor as well. The motor came from I believe a '72 or '73 Dart (with a 4-Speed, I think, since the bulkhead plug for the Wiper motor lacks a Neutral Safety Switch connector)

I ran into the same issue with my '74, since my interior harness was from a 4-Speed car and so was the 3-Speed Wiper Motor, It didn't have the connectors for the NSS on the Wiper Bulkhead connector like my original Automatic & 2-Speed Wiper harnesses did.

-
Back