$300 a good price for 325/50/15 M/T drag radials?

-

happster

Reaction score
looking at a set of drag radials to use to test fit them under the car... set has been down the track about 12 times, and never used on the street. is this a good price for some good used rubber? i was thinking about offering the guy 250 for the pair, see if that flies. what do you think?

Check them out real good,12 passes are'nt really that much..new m/t's are going for $190.00 each..so you decide...i'll be biting the bullit soon myself i need a new pair also...

alright, i just didn't know how much 12 runs really takes out on a tire. with drag radials, do you still burnout? i always heard you shouldn't with radials, but are drag radials different?

You can heat them up a little bit but you dont have to go crazy. Unless you want to but it gets expensive.

Is it really just for a test fit? If so, you should be able to find a set MUCH cheaper than that...Remember, for a test fit, you simply need them to hold air. Most folks discard these tires after a specific amount of runs. If you have a local swap meet, or a local race track, you should be able to talk someone out of a used set really easily.

Once you are sure that everything fits, you can bite the bullet and purchase a new set.

Just my $.02.

Thank You!

OldMoparsRule!

Is it really just for a test fit? If so, you should be able to find a set MUCH cheaper than that...Remember, for a test fit, you simply need them to hold air. Most folks discard these tires after a specific amount of runs. If you have a local swap meet, or a local race track, you should be able to talk someone out of a used set really easily.

Once you are sure that everything fits, you can bite the bullet and purchase a new set.

Just my $.02.

Thank You!

OldMoparsRule!

well, I guess they are for more than just a test fit. i would like to use them. if it's such a good deal though, wouldn't I be better jumping on it and getting it?

well, I guess they are for more than just a test fit. i would like to use them. if it's such a good deal though, wouldn't I be better jumping on it and getting it?

Yea, I understand your logic, but let me propose another way to look at this.

Purchasing used tires is always an interesting dilemma...how much were they used, etc...

If you consider the purchase price of $300, against the new price of ~$400, then you are down to a $100 question. Is it worth it to you to save $100, but to have no idea really how "used" they are?

It comes down to two things:

1) How confident are you that you can get these tires to fit under your car? This is probably the biggest question.

2) Is the $100 variance worth it to you to know the condition of your tires?

I am hoping that this is helpful to you.

This is what happens when I take a sick day from work... ;-)

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

looking at a set of drag radials to use to test fit them under the car... set has been down the track about 12 times, and never used on the street. is this a good price for some good used rubber? i was thinking about offering the guy 250 for the pair, see if that flies. what do you think?

happster: If your car isn't at least mini tubbed, those tires are way to big. I have 3" tubs on my Demon and run both BF Goodrich 325x50x15 drag radials and MT ET Streets 28x13.5x15. They run on 10" rims. Just something to ponder.

I agree with Demon416.

If the car isn't minitubbed, no chance to get a 325 under the car without it sticking out the well.

Non tubbed, a 275/60 is probably as big as you can get.

hahaha yeah. alright, i guess it would be smarter to go to the track or something and see if anyone has any HAs i can use to fit. demon, i am going to mini-tub and use offset perches and shackles, with SS springs, so it may be tight but i think they will fit. thanks guys, i think i'll pass on these ones. don't want to find out they won't fit after I put 300 bucks into em!

Unless you move the spring under/into the frame rail, minitubbing isn't going to do you much good. The spring will be in the way, it's also the first point of interference with the tires in stock location/std well.. The offset spring kits, make use of the existing well space.

Are you talking about ET Street Radials or ET Drag Radial? I don't see where the make a 325/50/15 Drag Radial.!
Garland

happster: crackedback is right. Even if you use the relocation kit, 275/60/15 is about all you'll want in the wheel wells. If you minitub, you can run the sizes I stated, with offset rims. Or shortened axles. The guy in the photo has air shocks. lower them and the tires will hit.

alright, so if i minitub and use offset rims, i will STILL have to move the perches farther in than the 1" supplied by the relocation kit?

alright, so if i minitub and use offset rims, i will STILL have to move the perches farther in than the 1" supplied by the relocation kit?
If you minitub, you'll move the springs inboard under the frame rails. If you use the spring relocation kit you'll gain an inch more clearance than you have now.

The stock well is about 12" deep. 25.4mm/inch x 12 = 304.8 so a 325 is wider than the well.

Let me rephrase this. You likely won't get a 325/50 to tuck up inside the well. If you kept it jacked up in the back then it will probably work. Depends on the look you are going for. The car you pictured is up in the rear a good amount

If you want them tucked up in the well, probably not going to happen.

Here's a 30/11.50 on the back of my Duster. It's minitubbed and relocation. Tire fits entirely inside the well, no interference with the outer wheel lip. It's going to have 315/60/15 MT et street radials on it.

Relo006.jpg

Good luck with it.

ok, i think i get it. i'm just a little cautious about chopping up the car... i guess it won't be chopping it up too much, huh?
EDIT: that is exactly how i want mine to look. what will i have to do to raise the car up enough? the SS springs and longer drag shocks won't do that for me will it?

You want it to look like the black car or my White car?

Black car - SS springs and keep it jacked up.

My car - minitub and spring relocation into the frame rails.

happster: Minitubbing is a big job. If you're not comfortable working with sheet metal, I'd have someone do the work for you. Just my opinion.

i am moderately comfortable working with sheetmetal. i can tig/mig/stick/torch weld, and enjoy little projects like this. you should have seen my last project, had to repair a oil pan off of a 57 chrysler 300C with a hemi that had sent a rod through the pan... that was fun, came out looking like new. and yes, i'm referring to your car CB. looks good. so no lift on the rear or that or what?

also, if i were to run 325/50/15s, my sidewall wouldn't be as tall as yours, so all i would be dealing with is the width, right? i would be able to sit a bit lower.

i am moderately comfortable working with sheetmetal. i can tig/mig/stick/torch weld, and enjoy little projects like this. you should have seen my last project, had to repair a oil pan off of a 57 chrysler 300C with a hemi that had sent a rod through the pan... that was fun, came out looking like new. and yes, i'm referring to your car CB. looks good. so no lift on the rear or that or what?

My car has some saggy ***, 40 yo old slant/318 leaf spring on it with cal trak style bars. They have zero arch.

If you can stick, mig, tig, you'd have no real problem doing a tub. I have a powerpoint someone else did that is pretty good. Send me a PM with an E-mail and I can send it to you. Also have a bunch of personal suggestions on making it look cleaner and shortcuts.

-
Back