300 hp slant

-
Uh huh, if you throw enough money and work at any engine it will perform. People build slant sixes to prove a point; point proven, and bank account drained. *yawn*

Uh, huh, if you throw enough money and work at any engine it will perform. People build slant sixes to prove a point; point proven, and bank account drained.

i guess if you want to look at it that way, I see someone who really pushed the envelope in the Slant World with that motor... and considering your signature im surprised you would say that

i guess if you want to look at it that way, I see someone who really pushed the envelope in the Slant World with that motor... and considering your signature im surprised you would say that

I don't even wanna consider,what you spent for actual short block assembly, considered....

I don't even wanna consider,what you spent for actual short block assembly, considered....

My short block?

reconditioned STOCK rods
crank turned 20/20
Block bored and honed for .080
block decked .025"
line hone on mains
pistons pressed on and off
stock pump with hemi spring
stock pickup and pan modified for 6qts
I debured and smoothed the inside of the block and head
cam was 129 bucks
still has stock rod bolts in it after 300 passes and 300K miles before rebuild

thats it... lol so yea a WHOLE BUNCH of cash in the short block... maybe 600 bucks lol

My short block?

reconditioned STOCK rods
crank turned 20/20
Block bored and honed for .080
block decked .025"
line hone on mains
pistons pressed on and off
stock pump with hemi spring
stock pickup and pan modified for 6qts
I debured and smoothed the inside of the block and head
cam was 129 bucks
still has stock rod bolts in it after 300 passes and 300K miles before rebuild

thats it... lol so yea a WHOLE BUNCH of cash in the short block... maybe 600 bucks lol

On ya bloke, on ya !

Back in 1968, a bloke by the name of Wilford Day set a speed record in a 62 Lancer with a 225 slant, using 3.23 diff gears, with a speed of 145 mph.
A bit later he used a 170 slant, and got 135 mph.....he was using an Isky cam of 320* duration.
This was published in the June '99 issue of Mopar Action.
Wonder what sort of GG's he was gettin ???

Uh huh, if you throw enough money and work at any engine it will perform. People build slant sixes to prove a point; point proven, and bank account drained. *yawn*
Or he could have been really original and, yawn, stuffed a V8 in it. Would love to see that since no one's ever done that before. :D

In building a slant my only point to prove is to learn about making it run the best that I can. If it ever meets all of my goals for it I'll be getting 25-30 mpg out of a 150-175 HP 170 ci slant six in a car that I can DD, AutoX, and drive to Vegas on a whim stopping by Willow Springs for a couple hot laps on a run whatcha brung day. Will I or it ever get there? Who cares, it's more about the journey and less about the destination.

What I learned from the article is that I think that I want Angie to do a cyl head for me. That one was a work of art.

LIKE NTSGD SAYS: ITS THE JOURNEY SOMETIMES. LIKE HIM, I LOVE TO LEARN AND I LEARN SOMETHING NEW SEEMS LIKE EVERY DAY. SOME THINGS I CAN USE, OTHER NOT.....
HAVING BEEN IN THESE OLD CARS SNCE MID 80'S AND HAVING READ ALL THE RAGS FOR YEARS, I ADMIT TO HAVING LITTLE FAITH IN M M I QUIT THEM 10 OR 12 YEARS AGO, MOPAR ACTION GETS MY VOTE AS FAR AS REAL TECH GOES,(QUIT READING THAT TOO), BUT ALL THATS MY OPINION AND BESIDES THE POINT.
WHAT GETS ALOT OF US ,, IS THE FACT THAT THE RAG DECIDES TO DO BUILD ARTICLE SO THEY HAVE SOMETHING NEW IN THEIR MAG OTHER THANS JOES NUMBER MATCH 1 0F 1 PINK 69 RUNNER. SO THEY GET SPONSORS TO PROVIDE THE PARTS AND LABOR FOR ADVERTISING OR MAybe they even pay them some $$$$/??????....... maybe it would be nice to know what average john will have to spend to duplicate this slant wonder, chevy parts and all??????
PERHAPS THE SLANT GUY IS STILL IN UNKNOWN FRONTEIR WHEN IT COMES TO FINDING OUT WHAT CAN BE DONE TOO MAKE A BETTER MOUSETRAP ( SLANT)?????
HEY, MAYBE THE EDITOR OF M M, WILL READ THIS AND SEND ME A SUBSCRIPTION TO THEIR MAD AND M A ???? OR EVEN M C G??? lol

It ain't like a slant has never been done before either... Wanna go on a journey? Put a invisible helicopter engine in there; otherwise, its all the same: fuel, air, fire, bang!

its all the same: fuel, air, fire, bang!

Yep.....which is why I don't see how the logic in folks hating on the guy with the LSX in his A-body. Come on now, you have to be honest here. Go to a car show, or a drag strip and walk pass an a-body with a slant/LA/B/Rb in it what is going to make it so different? They have all been done countless times already. One may have this doo dad or that doo dad but aint like you have never seen it before. A GenII HEMI is about the only Mopar motor that makes me stop and look at a-bodies anymore.....

I dunno. I love the idea of a powerful slant 6. But for the sake of discussion and with no intention of beating up the owner - I think MEW took the wrong approach in terms of the whole package. There are some improvements to be made going lighter - but it's free to hack off and knife edge a crank and the rpms they were targeting the reduced weight wouldn't be a huge bonus. After all the work it stil lpeaked before 6000rpm. If it was me (and I do have plans at some point for this) I'd have spent a lot more time and money on the pistons, the head, rockers, and intake tract. Raised ports, a Jesel rocker system, and a custom/modified intake would do more for moving air in and out than EFI will do by better distribution and mixture. The proof is a claimed 200cfm head that is making power like a 130cfm head does. but - I'm sure it revs quick when not in gear. I'd bet it's a wet sock at 2500.
My friends Chevy stovebolt turbo ran low 9s. It has a stock crank, lightened rods, and custom pistons. The real power was in the head which was two SBC V8 Dart heads cut and welded, with the block's deck redone for the SBC bolt pattern.

It ain't like a slant has never been done before either... Wanna go on a journey? Put a invisible helicopter engine in there; otherwise, its all the same: fuel, air, fire, bang!
No it ain't agreed, BUT how many do you see done vs. how many V8's do you see done?

To me a slant is an uncommon engine. Not rare. Not weird. Just uncommon. If I wanted rare I'd stuff a Jeep OHC six in it. If I wanted weird I'd go with a Fiat 8V or a Maserati Bi-Turbo.

Hi all! Newbie here!

I find building a new kind of engine intriguing and fun. I really loved building AMCs and winning with them back in the day. Now I have a Mopar project. I had the options of SB, BB or /6 and went /6, just for the fun of it. In the end, there is always someone faster. And that someone faster is always the guy with the most $$$. I find that boring.
This is Old-school, hand-fitted, retro hot rodding. The best kind!

I have messed around with slant six's. And V8's. Some enjoy seeing what they can do with a 318 when they could have a 440. Some use a slant when they could have a 340. Do what you want, with what you want. Your money! Your enjoyment! You need nobody else's approval! Don't know why anybody would look at the slant six forum and whine about somebody building a slant. My word, some people put 5 grand into a 40 hp Harley when they could have bought a 1000cc Ninja... People, I tell ya.

I have messed around with slant six's. And V8's. Some enjoy seeing what they can do with a 318 when they could have a 440. Some use a slant when they could have a 340. Do what you want, with what you want. Your money! Your enjoyment! You need nobody else's approval! Don't know why anybody would look at the slant six forum and whine about somebody building a slant. My word, some people put 5 grand into a 40 hp Harley when they could have bought a 1000cc Ninja... People, I tell ya.

:cheers:

-
Back