300hp to the wheels 318

Will it make 300whp?

• Total voters
-
Wellll... I’ll start with the excuses since that’s standard procedure for falling short of expectations, so here goes... It was hot, but it’s July sooo there’s that; but I had trouble above 5200rpm and after putting a light on it it became clear I had a problem, timing jumping all over the place... we learned it is most likely the distributor cap which is wildly sloppy on the distributor. It’s a petronix unit and I’m gonna have to get that modified or find out if I even have the correct cap altogether... more to come there soon. However, as many predicted it did fall short of 300 to the tire... but only by 6.8 horsepower.... Two Hundred Ninety Three point Two ponies.... I am happy to report it was on the climb still when trouble happened. Come race it Oct 9th at the #MoparVsBrandXstreetcarShowdown!

I don't get why people are surprised if you put similars parts on a 318 you'll get similar performance as a 340/360 they aren't that different.

i think there are just so many different dynoes.I have seen many 340's built stouter than the ops 318 and only make 350 at the crank so it can be puzzling.

Some guys believe chassis dyno numbers to much. And you can’t factor the numbers (which most do) and then want to factor in weather conditions and altitude. That’s called “double-dipping”.

do you know the details of the 340 build?
Yes, it is exactly this 318s stuff, it was a factory 70 Short Block. The only change I made to the heads this go around was new stainless steel valves, went further on the bowl/port work, and put some crane rockers in place of the Chinas. Different carb but still a 750. I probably was having the same timing issues because it’s the same distributor too.

Some guys believe chassis dyno numbers to much. And you can’t factor the numbers (which most do) and then want to factor in weather conditions and altitude. That’s called “double-dipping”.
While I tend to agree “generally” speaking... However, please allow me to retort; MuleTown Dyno sees use on a weekly bases, in the local’ish’ area or Nashville cars and coffee where new model cars with certifiable factory power ratings are being repeated like clock work. It is also the one that travels with the Hot Rod Power Tour as well as sets up at all of my races. I have strapped down my own cars as well as many of friend’s cars I know as if they were my own and keep record of what trap speeds they pull down. He also travels with scales so that can be factored in to the validation. So in short, I get it that it up for debate but, I wouldn’t sound off about this particular Dyno if I didn’t have substantial evidence and a host of combinations that back up the evidence as valid. If nothing else it’s gotta be alittle more legit than Bench Racing... and we all love that and sometimes believe it.

Last edited:
I like this build, because its easy to understand what was done and the result is great. I may copy it. :)

-
Back