302 head questions

-

mean318

Reaction score
I will be buying some valve guides and start on my heads. I know this is easy stuff but I want to make sure that I have my info right.

What size valve stems does the 302 valves have? 3/8"??

Where can I get bronze valve guide liners or valves and what size should I get? I would need to do mail order and they need to ship through the U.S. postal, can't do FedEx or UPS.

Stock valves were 3/8" stem.

As for guides, I personally have had bad luck with the thin bronze liners. I either run a full bronze guide or iron. Your machine shop should be able to get either.

You need to know what your shop has the tooling for. I can do liners, but if things are really bad, or they don't have the K-Line stuff, a full guide can be done. Ask them first. In fact, I'd be curious why, if the shop is doing the work, you would be buying them. For larger parts, sure... but that's like taking a steak with you into a resturant and asking them to cook it for you for less money.

You need to know what your shop has the tooling for. I can do liners, but if things are really bad, or they don't have the K-Line stuff, a full guide can be done. Ask them first. In fact, I'd be curious why, if the shop is doing the work, you would be buying them. For larger parts, sure... but that's like taking a steak with you into a resturant and asking them to cook it for you for less money.

LOL I like mine medium rare please...

I would like to buy them from the states because I am afraid how much they will charge here in Germany for them. It costs me about $80 per head just for the head milling here.

By the way thanks for the info.

-
Back