302 head valve springs question

-
In short yes, but!

For the cost of replacent valve springs that are not tired and do not have half a gazillion miles on them. I say spend the$80 on new fresh springs that match and have the abilty to control the valves the way it should be.

In short yes, but!

For the cost of replacent valve springs that are not tired and do not have half a gazillion miles on them. I say spend the$80 on new fresh springs that match and have the abilty to control the valves the way it should be.

Thanks

I agree with rumble 100%.

Many years back when i was just learning, i bought a set of big valve heads that had just been redone. Took them to my machine shop for a double check and got a clean bill of health and the springs checked out for the cam i was gonna run. Fast forward, engine together and pulls nice and clean to 6000 rpm's. After a few hundred miles it starts rolling over a little early, then a few misses, then a few more misses and some random pops and spits at 5k...........Moral of the story is, after chasing my tail thru the entire ignition system, the carb and the fuel system.......guess what? Valve springs :D. I don't doubt they tested ok at the shop, but were probably nearing the end of their lifespan.

-
Back