302 heads on a 360?

-

jeremiah2146fa

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knew what the compression ratio would be for a BONE STOCK 360 with 302 closed chamber heads?
Right now I have a bone stock low mile 360 (with an Eddy manifold, new Holley 600, and upgraded ignition) from a 74 dodge motor home in my Duster, and a rebuilt set of 302 casting heads with 1.94/1.60 valves collecting dust in my barn. I was wondering if it would be worth the gasket set to put them on, or if I should just leave well enough alone?

It might get you up to 8.5:1 with the thin MP gaskets being used. IMO, not worth doing.

Really? I thought the stock C.R. was 8.7to1 and the 302's are a much smaller chamber closed chamber head.

What is listed in the books and what it actually specs out to be when you mic it up and do the math are 2 totaly different numbers. My 360 normaly spec below 8.0-1. Many clock in at 7.8-1.
You may get to 8.3-1 with the smaller cc head, but the down size in ports and valve size kill any gain that the compresion would give you.

Bad move to do performance wise.

rumble..
ever here of velocity? do you know of anybody who took a stock 302 head, to replace a stock 360 head and ran it ona dyno? the numbers are,
well, shocking.

His 302 heads have larger valves too.

Heck go for it...even mill the 302 heads first..that will help. Even if after 5,500 rpm the power falls off a cliff it sounds like this isn't no fire breathing high rpm motor anyways, lol

i say do it too.... the 302's chambers are known to cc in the 65cc area...swirl port, AND 1.94 valves....I say go for it!!!!

Let us know how much Bottom End it has!!!

rumble..
ever here of velocity? do you know of anybody who took a stock 302 head, to replace a stock 360 head and ran it ona dyno? the numbers are,
well, shocking.
Hey, have you ever heard of glasses?
Your unbeileveable. Really. You should seriously consider reading more in this forum and how much I run THAT word around in the face of everyone else screaming the otherway!

I still stand by what I said. Re-read it carefully. And what he asks.

Hey, have you ever heard of glasses?
Your unbeileveable. Really. You should seriously consider reading more in this forum and how much I run THAT word around in the face of everyone else screaming the otherway!

I still stand by what I said. Re-read it carefully. And what he asks.
Mr. Rumble sir,
chillax. was just yankin yer chain. I KNOW what you've said about velocity and such.

to the next guy.. shockinly.. the 302 head made less power!

They work well on engines that don't need to breath deeply. There is a ton of velocity. The problem is there is more to it than just speed. You need volume, and curtain area, neither of which the 302s don't have enough. The LA-Xs or even the EQ Magnums are a better choice and cheaper than having 302's done properly.

I was just curious since the 302's are the only rebuilt set that I have lying aroung right now.

oh yeah, the other reason I was thinkin about it is that I think I might have a bent valve in the stock heads and like I said, the 302's are the only rebuilt ones I've got layin around. I haven't had time to put a compression tester on it yet, but I have my suspicions.

I was just curious since the 302's are the only rebuilt set that I have lying aroung right now.

YES, only reason I said to go for it. Milling won't hurt either. The heads have larger valves, I would not be surprise if you get both a mileage and power increases..at least til around 4,000 rpm.

I'm not putting "soup up" 302 heads on my high reving 340, ha ha but for a low revving 360 with "nothing" compression, a 58-60 cc head chamber might work alright. The intake should have the smaller port size...heck I might be crazy but an old 318 single plane streetmaster with that dumb metal around by the carb removed would be little a baby torquer intake, might help those smaller ports breathe at higher revs and the 360 small ports deep breathing might work ok at low revs with the single plane. I seen many threads--like on speedtalk--saying they get better mpg and power with a single plane intake! Guys seem to know what they are talking about.

change of plans, turns out I wasn't firing on all 8, She runnin like a bat out-a-hell now. I've still got the 302's, but I'm thinkin I'll use them with one of my 318 blocks later.

I have a set of 302 heads with the chambers cc out to 57, with thin Mopar gaskets on my 360. All the calculators suggest 10:7 raito (with other specs calculated).

-
Back