302 heads

-

71_dart_swinger

Reaction score
hey guys so i found a pair of small block 302 heads ya know heart shaped close chamber heads , i know the y have like the 1.77 intake and 1.50 exuast valves or something like that. im curious if any one knows if i can put some 2.o2 and 1.60 s in them i can get the heads for almost noghint to put on my 360 thanks guys

302s have a fast burn swirl port design but the flow numbers are better suited to a 1.88 intake valve. Type 302 heads in the search and you will find a lot of info on this

The 302 is the head you want for a small displacment engine, IE 273/318/330 cubes. The head can be ported out to flow excellent and best used with a 1.88/1.60 max size valves on the small displacement engines.

On a 360, I would save time, money and effort by topping it off with small valved 360 heads. Mill them for compresion or use as is with piston replacement.

The 302 heads are great for a street driven 318 for 2 reasons, first they have smaller ports. This helps throttle response on a mild cammed small displacement engine. And second they have smaller chambers which help make compression in a 318.

The small ports can be ported to flow as well as a stock "J" head, so if you spend enough money you'll only go a little slower. The 2.02 valve gains you nothing in the small 302 chamber due to valve shrouding, 1.88 is plenty. The small chamber might raise your compression too much with a 360, and with the OEM pattern dished piston, you'd have a less than ideal chamber shape.

Ever wonder why Chrysler never put small port heads on the 360? Think about it!

-
Back