308 head Q

-

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
if i use the 308 heads with my setup... 107 pistons and xe274 what will compression be?? and will i save gas with these heads or what will be different

what will i gain from using these heads? besides better flowing= power

308 heads have the same chambers as other 360 heads.It's an open chamber head so somwhere around between 65 and 73 cc is chamber size..With a 65 cc chamber comp is about 10.5:1.73 cc will get you about 9.6:1

Can play around with it by varying gasket thickness.That cam will bleed off a certain amount of compression as well.

I used a quick calculator on the kb websight to figue this out.Not really accurate but will give you an idea.

You should see a gas savings, in a manor, the ports are more efficent. But since there on a performance engine....
There should be a difference over an older head. You might not see it much.

The 308 head is a better casting in base form than an older head design in terms of the port shapes etc. Do whatever you intend to to the 308 heads vs the older heads. Its money better spent.

well i dont know anymore the guy wants 250 to ship and he wont give me the weight of the heads and his zip

308 heads were a bandaid head.They were the predecesor to the magnum and improved on the achilles heal of the sbm head,which is the dogleg exhaust ports in the middle.
However they still used the old rocker shaft layout,small 1.88 1.60 360 valves and the open chamber design.

They can be made to breath better than an x head.But the price being asked for shipping here is retarded.

Whats wrong with the heads you have now, other than being off a 76 360? I would take the money you were going to spend on a set of 308's and the shipping and port out the 360 heads. I have used "crappy" 70's and 80's heads on non stock builds and they worked fine.

Take the money you were going to spend on a set of 308's and put it into your heads you have now. Get a porting kit and a good die grinder and do it yourself.

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.aspx

"Basic porting, while somewhat time consuming, is not hard work. It takes about 10-12 hours to do a set of average V8 heads. Some week nights and a weekend invested in your heads and your basic porting project will be complete.

Time is money, so we are not going to tell you doing your own heads will save a lot; however, most professional cylinder head porting businesses will charge $400-$600 for what is sometimes known in the trade as a "street/strip" port/polish job. Your basic porting project, done with the Standard Abrasives Porting Kit, will allow you to spend that $400-$600 on some other performance enhancement you want. "

ya so i will keep my heads get them ported and bowl ported just need like 200 more dollars and i can get them ported, dont really trust me to porting them unless i can have some practice on some ones heads

See if you can find a shitty pair of heads off craigslist or maybe someone from here that lives by you has a cracked head or some crappy 318 heads you can have for free or 20 bucks to practice on. Hell they don't even need to me mopar heads find a set of 305 chevy heads.

-
Back