308 heads

-

Robbie2734

Lambcharger
Reaction score
I just picked up a 91 360, does anyone know the chamber size of the 308 heads? They look pretty large and I need to get some kind of idea of real world chamber size so I can choose a set of pistons for it. :read2:

I'm not building a big HP motor, it's going in my 67 convertible next year. I'm trying to get alot of torque , thinking about off idle to 5000rpm. just a good driver with some pull when I nail it. I'm running a 318 now and although it runs good it could use more bottom end. This will be a basic rebuild, balanced with 9.5 CR and a good valve job. The 4 spd will be going back in and I'm keeping the 3:23's. The cam and pistons are the only real questions. I'm looking at KB 107's and want to use the roller setup. Anyone have any ideas on a good roller cam that will run from 1000 to 5000 rpm??? Can I, or should I re-use the lifters? The motor is clean inside but I don't know how good the lifters are.

I'm looking at KB 107's and want to use the roller setup. Anyone have any ideas on a good roller cam that will run from 1000 to 5000 rpm??? Can I, or should I re-use the lifters? The motor is clean inside but I don't know how good the lifters are.
KB107's are for a 360.
Old roller lifters should be replaced if there condition is unknown or can not be cleaned and verified in good shape. You could re-use them if there good.

IMO, I would look into various cam manufactuers sites like Com Cams, Crane cams etc.... and look at there roller cams on line (Or catolog)

There in there catolog, they will list the operating RPM range of the cams. As well as other info you might find helpful. Things like comp. ratio to be used, stall speed, carb size, etc... are all suggested for good results.

Oops, the car has a 318 now and the 360 will go in to replace it. So the 107's should fit...The 360 has about 80k so I'll replace the lifters.Thanks for the suggestions.

Are the lifters dirty, gummy? Try'em out first? I'm not sure on it. New lifters are a bit pricey and it's ethier factory or retro fit?

Yep, 107's for a 360. Unless your 318 goes to 4 inch bores....(Whistles, walks away looking into the clouds.....)

Wow, a 90 thou over bore!! why not go to 4.04 on the teen and use 340 pistons LOL? The motor isn't gunked up, wish it was a little, lots of surface scale to clean on the outside of the motor. The block is a roller block with the spyder and lifters intact. I have to pull it apart and get things cleaned and to the machine shop. I'll get them to check the lifters. The bore has no ridge and some crosshatch is visible so I'm hoping it just needs to be honed. Haven't pulled the crank yet. Need to get a engine stand this week.

Comp has a couple of rollers out that might fit the bill. They're the XR line of hydraulic rollers, the 268 or 274 might be right. I building a factory roller 360 right now also, I opted for the 280HR cam, and I picked up new OE lifters, last week for $7.00 each.

My 308's after a cleanup mill cc'ed at 70.
Your 360 should have a factory windage tray too.

-
Back