318 2bbl Intake Mods ?

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone opened up the plenum with a grinder on a 318 2bbl intake (mid 70's)? Or ground down the divider? If so, was the results positive ??

Why not just use the factory single plane 2bbl manifold?

Why not just use the factory single plane 2bbl manifold?
Thought of that, but I'm going to use the factory equipment. In just a couple of weeks this project begins. Hoping (but fat chance, right?) anyone has done this and would care to share..... if not, I'll be the guinea pig.

Thought of that, but I'm going to use the factory equipment. In just a couple of weeks this project begins. Hoping (but fat chance, right?) anyone has done this and would care to share..... if not, I'll be the guinea pig.
I had a 69 D100 with the NP435 trans and 3.91 gears all stock, I added a set of headers and that was the best running 318 I have ever owned, totally stock, minus the headers, it was really strong. And I have owned alot of 318's.
The only thing I could find was different, from all the other 318's was that factory single plane cast intake.

I had a 69 D100 with the NP435 trans and 3.91 gears all stock, I added a set of headers and that was the best running 318 I have ever owned, totally stock, minus the headers, it was really strong. And I have owned alot of 318's.
The only thing I could find was different, from all the other 318's was that factory single plane cast intake.
Sounds like it was a fun truck !! I am about to start down the road for my "gas mileage & performance" Van project as I prepare for NNN. Sticking to my word on just working with the factory equipment. My job is just to allow the components to preform at their premium. It's going to be a blast for me, as I am so much attracted to this type of project.

Sounds like it was a fun truck !! I am about to start down the road for my "gas mileage & performance" Van project as I prepare for NNN. Sticking to my word on just working with the factory equipment. My job is just to allow the components to preform at their premium. It's going to be a blast for me, as I am so much attracted to this type of project.
Gas sipper, going to be tough with that brick. You should be getting about 14.5 mpg stock before touching anything.

Weren't those higher compression 318s in 69?

Gas sipper, going to be tough with that brick. You should be getting about 14.5 mpg stock before touching anything.
We average about 13.5 mpg in the trips we've taken so far. At times we've done 14, at times 13, depends on wind and the road. But 13.5 was the average.

And it was a 69. Almost a 10:1 motor.

We average about 13.5 mpg in the trips we've taken so far. At times we've done 14, at times 13, depends on wind and the road. But 13.5 was the average.
I wonder if a 4 Barrel intake would do better? Well if you stay out of the secondaries lol

I wonder if a 4 Barrel intake would do better? Well if you stay out of the secondaries lol
You can buy a few tanks of fuel, for just the cost of a 4 bbl intake and carb, but I know he probably has a few sitting around.

there's a chance it would. But I'm going to stick to even the factory air cleaner. The mass production runs of the 318's has had to leave some on the table if a guy wants to individualize the parts. That's what I'm going to try to do. I'm not pulling the motor or doing anything with the short block. I've already replaced the timing chain with a edelbrock double roller. The van does have dual exhaust.

there's a chance it would. But I'm going to stick to even the factory air cleaner. The mass production runs of the 318's has had to leave some on the table if a guy wants to individualize the parts. That's what I'm going to try to do. I'm not pulling the motor or doing anything with the short block. I've already replaced the timing chain with a edelbrock double roller. The van does have dual exhaust.
Air cleaner is pretty restrictive on those maybe get a hi flow air filter.

I don't blame you for not wanting to do anything to the short block, pulling a van engine is not fun.

Air cleaner is pretty restrictive on those maybe get a hi flow air filter.
I will see what opportunities there are in working with the factory unit. I've already thought of a couple that I may try.

I will see what opportunities there are in working with the factory unit. I've already thought of a couple that I may try.
That would be easy to test. Just pull the filter out and make another pass.

Following Along

Screenshot_20210530-082049_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211219-060059_Gallery.jpg
1989 318 TBI factory mid rise, dual plane, drilled and tapped for 2 bbl bolt pattern.

Screenshot_20220519-112102_Gallery.jpg

As long as it's drilled ^^^ for the 2 bbl pattern might as well put an Edelbrock 1406 on it. There is where you will get your gas mileage and efficiency.

Go For It . . .

☆☆☆☆☆

Find a local dirt track guy that runs in the stock classes. They do all kinds of things to their stock pieces.

Here is what a stock 318 2bbl intake manifold looks like.

Big difference between this and a TBI manifold.

Screenshot_20200821-090527_Gallery.jpg

Actually works pretty well, as was put into service. But the TBI manifold opens it up so much nicer.

Find a local dirt track guy that runs in the stock classes. They do all kinds of things to their stock pieces.
I'm sure they have secrets... IF I can find somebody that dirt tracks a 318 2bbl. Hoping one of the 50K members here has "been there/did that"... LOL.

-
Back